East Bengal hold Churchill Brothers in I-LeagueJanuary 27th, 2012 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
Margaon, Jan 27 (IANS) Churchill Brothers allowed East Bengal to get off the hook and settled for a 1-1 draw in an I-League football clash at Fatorda’s Nehru Stadium Friday.
Churchill Brothers had plenty of chances to grab three points that they had been hunting for but apart from Henri Autchouet’s early goal the hosts could not find the net. In the end, even that did not count for much as Tolgay Ozbey ensured East Bengal walked out with a point with the equaliser in the 53rd minute.
Coach Manuel Gomes opted to start with three strikers, including one on the right of midfield, giving Churchill a lot of attacking intent. It surely took East Bengal by surprise as the visitors were still coming to grips with the torrent of attacks early in the game.
One such move, led to a corner in the seventh minute which Steven Dias took beautifully and Henri finished with a smart header at the near post.
Hardly had those cheers died down, Churchill created another glorious moment but this time Lenny Rodrigues’ booming long-ranger rattled the upright and rebounded back into play.
For the remainder of the first half, the ball was mostly confined to the midfield as East Bengal looked out of sorts and Churchill seemed content in the solitary goal lead.
In the second session, East Bengal pulled up their socks, and within eight minutes found themselves clawing their way back into the game. Incidentally, it was their first attempt on goal but the visitors didn’t mind as Tolgay headed Harmanjyot Khabra’s flick from close range.
The goal did not upset Churchill as they continued to dominate but a goal remained elusive despite several chances.
- I-League: East Bengal beat Salgaocar 1-0 - Mar 25, 2012
- I-League: East Bengal thrash Sporting Club 3-0 - Apr 30, 2012
- East Bengal, Lajong in Fed Cup semis - Sep 21, 2011
- East Bengal scrape past Chirag United 4-3 - Apr 16, 2012
- Depleted Churchill take on East Bengal - Jan 26, 2012
- Dempo move step closer to I-League title - Apr 11, 2012
- Dempo bag I-League title for record fifth time (With Images) - Apr 20, 2012
- India's football friendly with South Africa postponed - Dec 05, 2011
- I-League: Churchill, Dempo and Chirag win - Oct 22, 2011
- Odafe hat-trick hands Mohun Bagan crucial win - Jan 15, 2012
- Prayag United stun East Bengal in I-League - Jan 31, 2012
- East Bengal striker Tolgay fined Rs.50,000 - Apr 20, 2012
- Mohun Bagan get past East Bengal 1-0 in I-league - Nov 21, 2011
- Arnab, Clifford ruled out from AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 02, 2012
- East Bengal finish second in I-League - May 05, 2012
Tags: 53rd, attacking intent, churchill brothers, clash, close range, coming to grips, early in the game, east bengal, equaliser, flick, game one, glorious moment, league football, long ranger, manuel gomes, nehru stadium, rodrigues, second session, solitary goal, strikers