Dwayne Bravo named ODI vice captainMarch 15th, 2012 - 2:13 pm ICT by IANS
Kingstown, (St. Vincent), March 15 (IANS/CMC) All-rounder Dwayne Bravo has been appointed West Indies vice captain for the first three One-Day Internationals against Australia.
The 28-year-old Bravo, who has not played for West Indies in almost a year, replaces Denesh Ramdin who was forced out of the squad after fracturing a thumb in a practice game in Barbados last Saturday.
“I am happy to be named vice captain. When I was asked to do the job, I happily accepted. As vice captain, I know I have a very important job to do,” said Bravo, who at one time was earmarked as a potential Windies skipper.
“My main job is to support captain Darren Sammy and work alongside him, and help my team-mates and put in those major performances for the team.”
He added: “We have a very young team and, as one of the senior players, I have to step in and make my presence felt. The fire is still burning in me. I will be bringing the same level of enthusiasm and commitment that I always had. That is the only way I know how to play, by giving my all to the team.”
Bravo has gone through a tough spell in his international career over the last year, resulting in being dropped from both the Test and ODI squads.
He did not play a single Test last year and his last ODI was the second game of the five-match series against India last June. Those two matches yielded 30 runs and no wickets.
Bravo struggled in the preceding ODI series against Pakistan, taking four wickets at an average of 49 and scoring 54 runs from four innings.
However, the energetic Trinidadian said he was looking to make a big impression this year.
“I was away from the team since last year and I’m happy to be back in the maroon shirt and representing the people of the West Indies,” he said.
“It is special to be back on the team for a series in the Caribbean, where most of my fans are and where I get a lot of support. I’m looking to make this year a big year. I want to make 2012 my year.”
Bravo has played 117 ODIs and is currently the most experienced member of the current Windies setup.
- Windies begin final preparations for World T20 - Sep 01, 2012
- Sammy hopes to continue good record at Arnos Vale - Mar 15, 2012
- West Indies retain squad for third ODI - Jul 09, 2012
- Rejuvenated Dwayne Bravo eyes Test return - Jul 05, 2012
- Barath returns to Windies squad for final ODIs - Mar 22, 2012
- Windies switching gears for Twenty20 series against Australia - Mar 27, 2012
- Narine says Windies pumped up for third ODI - Mar 20, 2012
- Bravo says West Indies must avoid clean sweep - Jun 20, 2012
- West Indies eye series win against Black Caps - Jul 05, 2012
- Windies, Australia to size up in Beausejour after dramatic tie - Mar 23, 2012
- Best, Russell called up for Jamaica ODIs - Jul 02, 2012
- Badree gets nod ahead of Benn in Windies squad - Jun 25, 2012
- West Indies bring back Darren Bravo for T20 World Cup - Aug 23, 2012
- Edwards out, Ramdin returns as Windies vice captain - Jul 23, 2012
- Out-of-form Bravo released, Hyatt called up - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: barbados, day internationals, dwayne bravo, four wickets, international career, last saturday, maroon shirt, match, odi series, practice game, ramdin, rounder, sammy, second game, st vincent, team mates, thumb, trinidadian, vice captain, west indies