Dutch star Ruud Gullit arrives in KolkataJuly 28th, 2012 - 5:23 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 28 (IANS) Dutch football legend Ruud Gullit arrived in the city Saturday morning on a two-day visit during which he will attend the final match of a ‘para’ (community) tournament besides being the chief guest at the annual awards function of Mohun Bagan club.
“He landed at the Kolkata airport Saturday morning from Amsterdam via London. He is slated to attend a programme in a radio channel today,” Dharamdas Pandey, CEO of Celebrity Management Group, told IANS.
Sunday he will interact with the media and attend the final of a para football organised by a radio station. During the match, Gullit will select two of the best players who would be trained by Prayag United.
The Dutch star will also be the chief guest at the awards function of city football giants Mohun Bagan Sunday when the club celebrates the ‘Mohun Bagan Day’ to commemorate its victory against East York Regiment in the IFA Shield final on this day in 1911. Gullit will also inaugurate a new jersey of the club designed by singer Babul Supriyo.
Gullit will leave the city July 30.
A versatile player of the 1980s and 1990s, Gullit captained the Netherlands team that won Euro 88. He was also a member of the squad for the 1990 Football World Cup. He was named the European Footballer of the Year in 1987 and the World Player of the Year in 1987 and 1989.
With Gullit’s visit, Kolkata continues hosting legendary footballers like Pele, Diego Maradona, Lothar Matthaus, Oliver Kahn, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, Ottmar Hitzfeld, Gerd Muller, Romario and Branco, who all mesmerised the city with their presence.
Though all the masters came to the city much after their retirement, Uruguayan soccer star Diego Forlan came to city to participate in a football talent hunt show, just weeks after becoming the golden ball winner in the 2010 world cup.
Brazilian star Zico had come as the coach of Japan’s national side for a pre-World Cup game, while Cameroon’s Roger Milla - adjudged the best African player of the last century - played an exhibition match months after his sparkling performance at the 1990 World Cup.
Earlier, the city hosted the country’s first ever FIFA friendly match when football sensation Lionel Messi led Argentina clashed against Venezuela at the Salt Lake stadium. The Argentinians won the encounter courtesy a second-half header by Porto centre-half Nicolas Otamendi.
- Footballer Ruud Gullit to visit Kolkata - Jul 25, 2012
- Ruud Gullit enthralls Mohun Bagan crowd - Jul 30, 2012
- World Cup star Diego Forlan arrives in Kolkata - Jul 30, 2010
- Lionel Messi, Argentine side to play in Kolkata - Feb 07, 2011
- Tevez, Di Maria to be seen alongside Messi in Kolkata friendly - Jun 06, 2011
- Ruud Gullit for pact barring big clubs luring away native talent - Jul 29, 2012
- Argentinian stars have a long affair with Kolkata - Sep 01, 2011
- Babul Supriyo turns designer, designs jersey for Mohun Bagan - Jul 30, 2012
- Mohun Bagan face Pune in Barreto's farewell match - May 05, 2012
- The 107 caps of Bhaichung Bhutia (Career statistics) - Aug 24, 2011
- Indian football coach Koevermans gets thumbs up from Gullit - Jul 29, 2012
- Soccer legend Sailen Manna dead (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- India's football talent hunt to start Friday - Jun 14, 2012
- Schenker, Pele in Superstars XI against Bhaichung's side - Jan 07, 2012
- Adriano can revive career with Flamengo: Zico - Apr 02, 2012
Tags: ball winner, celebrity management, diego forlan, diego maradona, dutch football, dutch star, euro 88, european footballer of the year, final match, football talent, football world cup, footballer of the year, gerd muller, karl heinz rummenigge, lothar matthaus, oliver kahn, ottmar hitzfeld, ruud gullit, world cup game, york regiment