Dutch girl youngest to sail around-the-globe soloJanuary 22nd, 2012 - 3:06 am ICT by IANS
London, Jan 21 (IANS) Dutch teenager Laura Dekker was expected to complete her 27,000-mile voyage Saturday afternoon at the Caribbean island of Saint Martin, a year and a day after she set out to sail single-handed around the globe, the daily Telegraph reported.
Dekker, who is 16 years and four months old, has cut six months off the unofficial record set in 2010 by Australian teenager Jessica Watson, who was days away from her 17th birthday when she completed her own non-stop voyage.
Dekker has had to cope with weeks of solitude, ocean storms and a fear of pirates while navigating and sailing a 38-foot yacht called Guppy, all the time trying to keep up with her schoolwork.
But she will not be sailing into the record books. After the controversy she caused when she announced she was going to try to break the record in a small boat aged just 13, the Guinness Book of Records decided to stop recognising records for “youngest” sailors.
Dekker fled abroad in 2010 when Dutch child welfare authorities took legal action to try to stop her making the voyage. She later won a 10-month court battle, promising judges she would buy a bigger boat with advanced navigation equipment, take courses in first aid and coping with sleep deprivation, and enrol in a special correspondence school.
Her grandparents, divorced parents, and younger sister Kim are among those waiting to greet her in the Dutch Caribbean island of Saint Martin, her starting point last January.
She is finishing a long leg from her last port of call in South Africa in November. “A small flotilla will sail out to greet her, including the coast guard, and then we have a big ceremony planned in the yacht club,” said her manager Gerard van Erp, who is in daily radio contact with Dekker.
- Laura Dekker finishes her solo sailing sojourn - Jan 12, 2012
- Missing girl sailor found on Dutch Caribbean Island - Dec 21, 2009
- Russian yacht goes missing in Antarctic - Apr 07, 2012
- Fourteen Year Old Dutch Sets Sail on Solo World Trip - Aug 04, 2010
- Dutch Court gives teen Laura Dekker the go ahead for solo sailing - Jul 27, 2010
- Dutch teen Laura Dekker sets sail on her epic voyage - Aug 04, 2010
- Round-the-world teenager's voyage over before it began - Sep 09, 2009
- 14-year-old Dutch girl Laura Dekker to sail solo around the world - Jul 27, 2010
- 16-year-old Queensland teen sets sail for record attempt - Oct 18, 2009
- Australian teen sets sail round the world - Oct 18, 2009
- Celebrating 25 years of India's first globe sailing expedition (With images) - Jan 10, 2012
- Dilip Donde is first Indian to sail solo around the world - May 22, 2010
- Brown joins Rihanna on vacation - Jul 24, 2012
- 14-year-old Dutch girl's mum allows daughter to sail around the globe - Jul 18, 2010
- Donde wants his round-the-world trip boat to sail on - Sep 17, 2011
Tags: australian teenager, child welfare authorities, correspondence school, daily telegraph, dutch caribbean island, dutch child, dutch girl, foot yacht, guinness book of records, jessica watson, london jan, long leg, mile voyage, ocean storms, sister kim, sleep deprivation, unofficial record, van erp, yacht club, year and a day