Dutch Cup match abandoned after keeper kicks fanDecember 22nd, 2011 - 11:10 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Amsterdam, Dec 22 (THAINDIAN NEWS) There was controversy during the Dutch Cup match between Ajax Amsterdam and AZ Alkmaar. A fan who invaded the pitch was attacked by Alkmaar’s goalkeeper Esteban and that earned him the red card.
Alkmaar coach Gert Jan Verbeek did the unthinkable when he ordered him players to walk off the pitch and stop playing the game. At the time that the center referee ended the match, the score was standing at 1-0 in favor of Ajax.
Club officials argue that the Costa Rican goalie defended himself after he was kicked by the fan. The police later arrested the man who has been identified as a 19-year-old.
Ajax coach Frank de Boer shared the view of his opposing team when he said that “I saw that Esteban was attacked and that he defended himself,” said Ajax coach Frank de Boer. Don’t know how I would have reacted but I can understand Esteban with his South American temper. I understand the decision of Alkmaar because of all the emotion at that moment.”
Alkmaar have indicated that they are ready to receive any punishment from the disciplinary committee of the Dutch FA because of the walkout. They argue that they walked off the pitch because they placed the safety of their players above every other interest.
- Dutch Cup match suspended after fans attack goalkeeper - Dec 22, 2011
- Parents of Ajax fan are in hiding for fear of reprisal - Dec 24, 2011
- Suspended Ajax-AZ match to be replayed without spectators - Dec 28, 2011
- Ajax lose El Hamdaoui, Vertonghen in transfers - Jul 12, 2012
- Ajax, El Hamdaoui blame each other for failed transfer - Feb 01, 2012
- Dutch pitch invader sentenced to six months imprisonment - Dec 30, 2011
- Ajax move closer to Dutch title - Apr 16, 2012
- Only children spectators for Ajax-AZ rematch - Jan 13, 2012
- Ajax capture 31st Dutch league title - May 03, 2012
- Ajax signs Schone, lures Narsingh and Moisander - Apr 20, 2012
- Ajax close in on Dutch title - Apr 23, 2012
- Dutch title race wide open after defeats of PSV and AZ - Feb 20, 2012
- Ajax appoints Overmars as sporting director - Jul 07, 2012
- Ajax to miss Sigthorsson for four more months - Sep 13, 2012
- AZ coach Verbeek gets one-match ban - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: ajax amsterdam, az alkmaar, club officials, coach frank, controversy, disciplinary committee, dutch cup, emotion, frank de boer, gert jan, goalkeeper, jan verbeek, match, pitch, playing the game, referee, score, temper, unthinkable, walkout