Dundee United hold Dynamo to draw in Europa LeagueAugust 3rd, 2012 - 3:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A stoppage-time goal from Russia international striker Alexander Kokorin rescued a 2-2 draw for Dynamo Moscow away at Dundee United in the Europa football league.
The hosts came close to a famous victory at Tannadice Park before Kokorin levelled the scores with a 20-yard screamer deep into added time in Thursday’s game.
The result leaves Dynamo in a strong position for next Thursday’s second leg in Russia, with two away goals meaning that their Scottish visitors will have to win or secure a draw of 2-2 or greater to have any chance of progressing.
Former Cardiff City winger Willo Flood opened the scoring for the hosts on 36 minutes, shedding his marker Marko Lomic before sending a low shot into Anton Shunin’s net.
Dynamo struck back five minutes after the break through Igor Semshov, one of four players in the side who had played at Euro 2012, as the midfielder headed a cross from Kokorin past Dundee United goalkeeper Radoslav Cierznak, making his debut for the Tangerines.
A tap-in from defender Keith Watson restored the hosts’ lead on 76 minutes after he picked up the ball in the six-yard box from a Gary Steven corner.
Before Watson’s goal, Dundee United had chances to extend their lead as Gary Mackay-Steven and John Rankin sent a steady stream of shots at Shunin’s goal.
Dynamo missed chances of their own, with ex-Germany striker Kevin Kuranyi heading wide twice in the first half and forcing a save from Cierznak shortly after Semshov’s equalizer.
- Dynamo slump continues with defeat against Terek - Aug 19, 2012
- Ibisevic puts Stuttgart past Dynamo - Aug 29, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russia's Kokorin out with injury - Jun 15, 2012
- Kuranyi puts faith in Petrescu to rescue Dynamo - Aug 20, 2012
- Dzyuba to miss World Cup qualifiers - Sep 05, 2012
- Russia labour to beat Northern Ireland - Sep 08, 2012
- Dundee United to face Dynamo Moscow in Europa League - Jul 20, 2012
- Russia beat Czech Republic 4-1 in Euro 2012 - Jun 09, 2012
- Dynamo Kiev beat Monchengladbach in Champions League playoff - Aug 22, 2012
- Dynamo drawn against Stuttgart in Europa League playoffs - Aug 10, 2012
- Champions League: Messi's brace sinks brave Spartak - Sep 20, 2012
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Olympics football: Peralta drives Mexico to beat Brazil for gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Leverkusen shock Chelsea; Arsenal, Valencia win (Roundup) - Nov 24, 2011
- Euro 2012: Polish blast blows Group A wide open - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: cardiff city, dg, dundee united, dynamo moscow, equalizer, euro 2012, football league, goalkeeper, john rankin, keith watson, mackay, midfielder, ria novosti, steady stream, stoppage time, striker, tangerines, time goal, willo flood, winger