Drug use rampant in Australian Football League, says Oz defender MilicevicFebruary 16th, 2011 - 3:34 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Feb 16(ANI): Australian footballer Ljubo Milicevic has claimed that drug use is rampant in the Australian Football League (AFL), and admitted that players had offered him cocaine in Melbourne nightclubs.
The 30-year-old central defender also said that the anti-drug code is covering up the substance abuse.
“The first thing an AFL footballer said to me when I got back to Melbourne and I was in a nightclub was, ‘do you want a line of coke?’ I said I was happy with a shot of Agua,” Fox Sports quoted Milicevic, as saying.
“I can tell you there are players on drugs. Why? Because I am linked with the underworld and I know people and they tell me things. You can bury your heads in the sand, but rest assured, idols in the AFL and NRL are out taking drugs.”
“And you cover it up and do good PR campaigns about your strike policy over drugs and try to bag football. When in our game if someone is caught taking drugs they get banned for a year, no questions asked … So don’t sell us some PR campaign - you’re a bunch of bigots. You think you’re bigger than society itself,” he added.
Milicevic has had a decorated career having captained Australia, played in the European Champions League and been in Guus Hiddink’s World Cup qualifying squad in 2005.
However, the twilight of his career has been littered by controversy and strong opinions on society. (ANI)
- Sport superstars take aim at flood - Jan 13, 2011
- Woods, Webber, Ponting top Media Monitors' list of most mentioned sportsmen - Dec 27, 2010
- Footie female groupies, "star f---ers", offer themselves to AFL players: Book - May 29, 2010
- 'Dangerous' Russia to qualify from group: Hiddink - Jun 10, 2012
- Hiddink hints at Anzhi exit - Jul 13, 2012
- Hiddink slams UEFA ban for Anzhi home arena - Jul 13, 2012
- Hiddink named head coach of Russia's Anzhi - Feb 18, 2012
- Brendan Fevola's name cleared in Lara Bingle's nude photo scandal - Apr 09, 2010
- Eto'o asks UEFA to reconsider Anzhi ban - Jul 16, 2012
- Australia's FIFA World Cup dream runs into rough weather - Dec 09, 2009
- Australian cricket's gain in Christian is rugby's loss - Dec 22, 2011
- Cricket Australia must make cricket a more inclusive game in Australia: Jones - Jan 15, 2011
- Dean Jones backs Australia to win fourth World Cup in a row - Feb 11, 2011
- Hiddink to coach Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala - Dec 21, 2011
- Bad boy hairdos not allowed in Sydney nightclubs! - Sep 12, 2010
Tags: afl, australian football league, bigots, captained australia, central defender, champions league, cocaine, coke, drug use, european champions, footballer, fox sports, guus hiddink, melbourne nightclubs, nrl, pr campaign, pr campaigns, strong opinions, taking drugs, world cup