Drogba to run in Olympic torch relayMay 23rd, 2012 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 23 (IANS) Outgoing Chelsea footballer Didier Drogba will run the Olympic torch relay here Wednesday.
The 34-year-old Drogba will carry the torch in Swindon, at half-way point between the 140.5-mile relay between Bristol and Cheltenham.
Drogba won the Champions League for Chelsea Saturday, scoring the decisive penalty in the shootout against Bayern Munich.
The Olympic torch will be placed in royal hands Wednesday as Zara Phillips, 14th in line to the British throne, will ride on horseback on to Cheltenham’s famous racecourse in Wednesday’s final leg.
The total distance covered Wednesday will be 140.5 miles and the last leg will see the Princess Royal’s daughter carry the torch while riding her horse Toytown onto Cheltenham racecourse where she will light a ceremonial cauldron at the evening event.
- London launches Paralympic torch relay - Aug 24, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- Drogba signs with Shanghai Shenhua - Jun 20, 2012
- Won't play for another English club: Drogba - May 23, 2012
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Olympic flame arrives in Britain - May 19, 2012
- Drogba all set to stay at Chelsea - Apr 29, 2011
- Olympic cauldron extinguished for move - Jul 30, 2012
- Kalou, Bosingwa leave Chelsea - Jul 01, 2012
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- Lampard hails Drogba for Chelsea's historic win - May 20, 2012
- Chelsea stun Barcelona at home in Champions League - Apr 19, 2012
- Olympic flame travels to Dublin - Jun 06, 2012
- Valiant Chelsea knock Barca out, reach Champions League final - Apr 25, 2012