Drogba faces a big UEFA ban for F-word tirade at refereeMay 7th, 2009 - 2:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 7 (ANI): Chelsea striker Didier Drogba faces a big UEFA ban after he hurled an F-word tirade at Norwegian referee Tom Henning Ovrebo as Barcelona hit a 93rd-minute goal to reach the Champions League final.
Millions of stunned TV viewers saw Drogba square up to the ref on the pitch after he had rejected four penalty appeals.
Drogba screamed obscenities at the TV cameras, forcing Sky to issue a rushed apology. Then the Ivory Coast star stormed down the tunnel and hurled abuse at Ovrebo, The Sun reports.
An eyewitness said: “Drogba was coming down the tunnel with referee Ovrebo alongside him. He kept shouting at Henning and the referee stopped.”
“Drogba turned towards the ref and put his face just three or four inches from the ref’s face and kept shouting. He told the ref ‘This is a f***ing disgrace, you don’t have respect, something like that can’t happen. You can’t do that’.
“All the time he used his hand to intimidate the ref further. He kept slamming his hand to the wall just inches from the ref’s face. Ovrebo looked terrified - but never said anything,” the eyewitness added.
Chelsea star Michael Ballack then joined in until the terrified referee ran back on to the pitch to avoid more confrontation.
The eyewitness also added: “Drogba looked crazy. He had lost control. But he never laid a finger on the ref, even though his behaviour was anything but civil.”
Last night Ovrebo admitted to UEFA representatives at the match that he had made “significant mistakes” during the game. But Drogba’s behaviour is certain to trigger a UEFA probe.
Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink defended the disgraceful reaction of his players. “I can fully understand the emotion of the game, the players’ disappointment. It’s not just one decision made in doubt but several decisions.” (ANI)
- Chelsea ready to give the boot to `F' ranting Drogba - May 08, 2009
- Drogba's tantrums inspire creation of hit Internet game - May 11, 2009
- Drogba involved in spat with Chelsea fan - Apr 04, 2011
- UEFA asks referee at helm of Chelsea's knock out to refile report - May 10, 2009
- Chelsea's Hiddink stands by Drogba - May 09, 2009
- UEFA conspiring in favour of Barcelona to finish Real Madrid: Mourinho - Apr 28, 2011
- Ronaldo supports Mourinho's conspiracy theory - Apr 29, 2011
- Eight-year-old son reprimanded Drogba for his infamous rant at referee - Nov 07, 2009
- Hiddink asks Abramovich not to hit Drogba with heavy punishment - May 10, 2009
- Mourinho 'more determined than ever to continue' as Real Madrid manager - Apr 30, 2011
- Drogba to get a new three-year contract at Chelsea - Jun 03, 2009
- Red-carded soccer player jailed for driving car onto pitch at referee - Nov 25, 2010
- Drogba signs with Chelsea again for 100,000 pounds per week - Aug 05, 2009
- Drobga apologises as Chelsea await sanctions - May 08, 2009
- Terry slams referee for denying Chelsea a place in Champions League final - May 07, 2009
Tags: apology, chelsea star, coast star, confrontation, disappointment, disgrace, drogba, f word, four inches, guus hiddink, ivory coast, match, michael ballack, minute goal, obscenities, referee london, tirade, tom henning, tv cameras, tv viewers