Dortmund and Bayern win in BundesligaApril 8th, 2012 - 3:36 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, April 8 (IANS) Juergen Klopps side Borussia Dortmund wrapped the 20th win of the season at Wolfsburg while Bayern Munich carved out a 2-1 win against Augsburg in the 29th round of the German Bundesliga.
Defending champion and Bundesliga leaders Borussia Dortmund extended their unbeaten run to 23 matches as they defeated the “Wolves” 3-1 away at Volkswagen Arena Saturday.
Dortmund were in great form and seemed to wrap the game in the first half itself. Robert Lewandowski and midfielder Ilkay Guendogan doubled the lead although Wolfsburg shocked the guests when striker Mario Mandzukic got one back from a header, six minutes into second half, Xinhua reported.
The hosts pressurized the Dortmund defence but six minutes before the final whistle Wolfsburg defender Alexander Madlung received his second yellow of the match. Consequently Dortmund striker Lewandowski slotted home his 19th goal of the season to give the defending champions a 3-1 win.
Dortmund stay in first position with 66 points while Wolfsburg are placed ninth with 40 points.
German record champion Bayern maintained pressure on front-runners Dortmund owing to a brace from Bundesliga top scorer Mario Gomez to seal 2-1 win over Augsburg.
With only thirty-nine seconds into the match Gomez shocked the guests from with a follow up shot to give his side the lead.
Bayern retracted and were punished by the visitors as midfielder Ja Cheol Koo nutmegged Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer from close distance to level the score with twenty-three minutes on the clock.
With beginning of the second, half Bayern started aggressively to put things right in the 60th minute as Gomez tapped in from very close range to extend his tally to 25 goals.
Bayern, who are in second position with 63 points, wrapped their ninth consecutive win in all competitions.
- Bundesliga leaders Dortmund five clear of Bayern with win over Cologne - Mar 26, 2012
- Dortmund humble Bayern to win German Cup - May 13, 2012
- Dortmund drop points as Bayern edge closer - Mar 11, 2012
- Dortmund defeat Freiburg, Nuremberg stun Leverkusen in Bundesliga - Dec 18, 2011
- Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over Wolfsburg - Jan 29, 2012
- Bayern Munich reduces Dortmund's lead - Apr 01, 2012
- Borussia Dortmund edge out Bayern Munich in Bundesliga - Nov 20, 2011
- Dortmund crushes Kaiserslautern in German Bundesliga - Apr 29, 2012
- Dortmund share point with Nuremberg - Sep 02, 2012
- Dortmund keep top position in Bundesliga after win against Hannover - Feb 27, 2012
- Dortmund reaches semifinals at German Cup - Feb 08, 2012
- German Bundesliga kicks off August 27 - Jun 27, 2012
- Bayern Munich extend lead in Bundesliga with win over Augsburg - Nov 07, 2011
- Dortmund close in on Bundesgila title - Apr 15, 2012
- Germany reveal provisional squad for Euro 2012 - May 08, 2012
Tags: alexander madlung, bayern munich, close distance, close range, defending champion, first position, front runners, german bundesliga, goalkeeper, ilkay, koo, manuel neuer, mario gomez, midfielder, nutmegged, robert lewandowski, six minutes, top scorer, wolfsburg, xinhua