Doping test methods reliable for the Games, says Chinese officialJuly 31st, 2008 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 31 (Xinhua) Reliable dope test methods will be used for the Beijing Olympic Games, said Wu Moutian, the lab head responsible for the Games doping tests, here. Wu, Beijing laboratory head and deputy director from the Chinese Anti-doping Agency, said the test method for EPO or erythropoietin is well established.
“There have been some debates about the reliability of the test method for EPO, which is normal because scientists keep working on better ways to detect banned substances and many methods have undergone further development,” he said.
His lab will carry out about 4,500 tests during the Games including 700 to 800 urine tests for the blood-boosting hormone, which may increase risks of heart attack and stroke.
“China have started to do EPO tests since 2000. After years of practice, we have accumulated experience in this area,” he said. “When we look at the test results around the world, no false cases are found yet.”
New test method to detect HGH or human growth hormone has been introduced in time for the Games, said Wu.
Wu told Tuesday that the Beijing lab has passed the qualification test by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), which approved the method to track, the muscle-building substance.
Athletes were tested for HGH for the first time during the Athens Olympics four years ago but no positives have been reported so far.
“We prepared for a long time including sending people to train in Britain and bought new equipments,” he said.
“The methods enlarge the detection extent which can help catch drug cheats,” he said.
The Beijing lab, part of the new China Anti-Doping Agency, was entrusted to carry out doping tests for the Games.
- New test detects growth hormone doping - Sep 17, 2012
- London 2012 anti-doping laboratory receives seal of approval - Apr 24, 2012
- Dope cheats must withdraw from Olympics: WADA - Jul 11, 2012
- Cuba's Olympic athletes declared free of doping - Jul 12, 2012
- Beijing to take drug cheats head on - Aug 01, 2008
- China conducting Olympic standard doping tests for Asiad - Nov 07, 2010
- Jamaica defends its anti-doping programme - Aug 18, 2012
- Robust doping control programme in place for Delhi 2010 - Sep 03, 2010
- BOA recommends changes to world anti-doping code - Apr 12, 2012
- Uganda athletes undergo doping test ahead of Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- New methods to check doping in Olympics - Jul 31, 2008
- Robust doping controls in place for CWG - Sep 03, 2010
- American sprinter Rodgers banned for doping - Mar 02, 2012
- Avoid meat before Olympics, China tells its athletes - Mar 15, 2012
- French steeplechase runner banned for 10 years - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: athens olympics, beijing laboratory, chinese official, deputy director, dope test, erythropoietin, further development, heart attack, human growth hormone, laboratory head, muscle building, new test, olympic games, qualification test, test method, test methods, urine tests, wada, world anti doping agency, xinhua