Dokic grateful to Australians for supporting her tennis careerMay 27th, 2009 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 27 (Xinhua) Jelena Dokic, playing at the French Open for the first time since 2004, thanked all the Australians for saving her tennis career.
Australian citizen Dokic, who was born in former Yugoslavia, marked her return to Roland Garros by downing Croat Karolina Sprem 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 here Tuesday.
After booking a second-round date with Russian fourth seed Elena Dementieva, she said she could not have made it back on to the big stage if it had not been for the support she got during her emotional journey to January’s Australian Open quarter-finals.
“Those people in Australia have probably brought my career back on track. I will be grateful to them for the rest of my life,” the former world number four, now ranked 80th, said in a news conference.
“No matter how hard it is on tour sometimes, every week when you play, I always try to remember that, because that’s what brought me back.”
Since her unexpected run in Melbourne, her form has dipped and she has not managed to win back-to-back matches on the main tour.
“I’m number 80 in the world, so I have nothing to defend for the rest of the year. I have pretty high goals.
“Even though I haven’t played as well as I wanted to since the Australian Open, I’ve still had good wins and I’ve only played four events. Considering all that, I think I’m on the right track,” she added.
- Somdev gets Australian Open wildcard - Jan 06, 2011
- Australia's Stosur welcomes prime-time promotion at US Open - Sep 07, 2010
- Djokovic starts French Open with a win - May 27, 2009
- Stosur, Clijsters sail into round three of Australian Open - Jan 20, 2011
- Federer says ATP needs global sponsor (Australian Open diary) - Jan 25, 2010
- Jelena Dokic accuses father of abuse - May 04, 2009
- Jelena Dokic had received physical abuse from her father - May 04, 2009
- Ivanovic opens the year with win - Jan 05, 2010
- Oz tennis legend Margaret Court tips Stosur to win French Open title - Jun 03, 2010
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Roddick makes successful knee test with Brisbane victory - Jan 04, 2010
- Tennis star Dokic says her father abused her - May 04, 2009
- Defeat no tragedy, it's just a match: Nadal - Jun 29, 2012
- Blake vows to overcome his continuing clay demons (French Open Notebook) - May 27, 2009
- Sharapova proud of her Russian origin - May 30, 2012
Tags: australia, australian citizen, australian open, australians, croat, elena dementieva, emotional journey, former yugoslavia, french open, jelena dokic, karolina sprem, melbourne, news conference, number 80, paris, quarter finals, rest of my life, roland garros, tennis career, xinhua