Do or die for India against Oman in AFC U-22 qualifierJuly 2nd, 2012 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
Muscat, July 2 (IANS) India are in a must-win position when they take on hosts Oman in their last match at the AFC U-22 championship here Tuesday.
Both India and Oman stay on seven points from four matches at the moment — India are ahead on goal difference (+5 in comparison to Oman’s +1). The situation demands a win but that doesn’t guarantee a spot in the final phase.
Along with an Indian win over Oman, Iraq also need to beat UAE to help India qualify as the second team. In case of an Indian win over Oman and an UAE victory over Iraq, UAE and Iraq qualify as the top two teams.
Head coach Arthur Papas and the team though refuse to get into the permutations.
“Hey, it’s complicated,” Papas clarifies. “Let us try for a victory against Oman. We take the field to win every match, whoever the opposition may be. We have improved with every match so far,” he adds.
“But Oman are very capable side. Not only are they ahead in the FIFA Rankings (97 in comparison to India’s 164), but they also boast of some very talented individuals. We go into the match as underdogs,” he maintains.
National Coach Wim Koevermans, who has watched two of India’s last matches and has made it a point to be there at every practice session along with Technical Director Rob Baan, says: “No match is ever easy. In football you have to fight on the field.”
Defender Abhishek Das said the team needed to back each other if they had any chance of beating Oman: “Against Oman, we need to back each other more - both on and off the field.”
We need to give our 200 percent on the ground. Try our best and leave the rest,” a philosophical Jeje Lalpekhlua, opined.
- Jeje to lead India U-22 in AFC Championship qualifiers - Jun 20, 2012
- First match of AFC qualifier very critical: Coach - Jun 22, 2012
- AFC U-22: India need to be consistent against UAE in qualifiers - Jun 27, 2012
- Some elements have been promising: Koevermans - Jun 29, 2012
- India hold UAE 1-1 in U-22 AFC Championship qualifier - Jun 29, 2012
- Wim Koevermans unveiled as new Indian football coach - Jun 15, 2012
- Indian U-22 soccer squad leaves for Muscat - Jun 14, 2012
- India getting used to Koevermans' style: Mehtab - Aug 27, 2012
- Koevermans names 37 probables for Nehru Cup - Jul 06, 2012
- Koevermans includes Chettri in Nehru Cup probables - Aug 07, 2012
- Nehru Cup: India look to continue winning ways against Maldives - Aug 24, 2012
- India must play matches on FIFA dates: Kovermans - Sep 03, 2012
- Passing game way forward for Indian football: Coach Koevarmans - Aug 25, 2012
- India looking to upset UAE in World Cup qualifiers - Jul 22, 2011
- Tough for India to make Nehru Cup hat-trick - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: abhishek, fifa rankings, final phase, goal difference, head coach, india and oman, jeje, koevermans, last match, muscat, national coach, papas, permutations, practice session, rob baan, seven points, talented individuals, technical director, underdogs, wim