Djokovic struggles to beat Berdych, Murray loses to FerrerNovember 22nd, 2011 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 22 (IANS) World No.1 Novak Djokovic came from a set down to overcome Czech Tomas Berdych for his first victory at the ATP World Tour Finals, while No.3 Andy Murray lost to David Ferrer in straight sets.
Djokovic, who has had a terrific season winning three Grand Slam titles and claiming the world No.1 ranking in the process, won the hard fought battle 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-3) here Monday, reports Xinhua.
The Serb found Berdych at his best in the first set. The Czech World No.7 needed just one break, and it came in the second game, to take the first set.
Djokovic found his touching the second set and Berdych’s game fell apart with a string of unforced errors. Djokovic made it a set-all taking the second set 6-3, but was in danger of losing when dropped his first service game and then faced a match point double-faulting.
The Serb recovered to take the 12th game before cruising through the tiebreak. Briton Murray suffered a bitter defeat at the hands of world No.5 Spaniard David Ferrer 6-4, 7-5 in his Group A opening match.
“I had a problem with my groin,” revealed Murray, who took a medical timeout after the first set. I didn’t move particularly great, but I still had opportunities.”
Murray broke first in both sets, but succumbed to a more consistent Ferrer, whom he defeated in the previous three meetings this year.
“He’s just very, very solid. He gives you very few points,” said Murray. “He returned well today, didn’t make hardly any mistakes on the return, so he was always putting pressure on my service game. And that’s the main difference.”
Although Murray still has at least two matches to play in the round robin, the 24-year-old said he will decide later whether or not to play the remaining matches.
“I can decide until one minute before the match Wednesday if I want to,” Murray added. “So I’ll see how I feel tonight and tomorrow and decide.”
- Berdych seals semis berth in World Tour Finals - Nov 26, 2011
- Berdych saves match point, clinches deciding tiebreak against Tipsarevic - Nov 24, 2011
- Ferrer thrashes Djokovic to reach semis at ATP final - Nov 24, 2011
- Federer-Berdych set-up Madrid Open final - May 13, 2012
- Tipsarevic stuns Djokovic in Madrid Open - May 12, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Djokovic cruises past Ferrer in Miami - Mar 30, 2012
- Berdych knocks out Murray, meets Federer in semis, Djokovic pulls out - Nov 12, 2011
- Federer adds more records on way to London final - Nov 27, 2011
- US Open: Djokovic to face Ferrer in semis - Sep 07, 2012
- Roundup: Berdych stuns Federer out of US Open - Sep 06, 2012
- US Open, Day 2: Wozniacki out, Djokovic in second round (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic into semis; Nadal, Murray, Roddick reach quarters - Sep 09, 2011
Tags: andy murray, atp world tour, bitter defeat, briton, david ferrer, first victory, fought battle, grand slam titles, match point, novak djokovic, second game, serb, service game, spaniard, straight sets, terrific season, tiebreak, tomas berdych, unforced errors, xinhua