Djokovic riled by Murray’’s Australian Open favourite tagJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 3:11 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan.22 (ANI): Defending Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic has spoken out against the bookies decision to rate Andy Murray, the worlds fourth-ranked player, as equal favourite for the tournament alongside Roger Federer.
Djokovic, who eased through his second-round match against Jeremy Chardy in straight sets, believes that the three leading contenders for the title are the same players who won grand slam events last year: himself, Federer, and Rafael Nadal.
Asked whether he felt that Murray had overtaken him in the public imagination, Djokovic replied indignantly What is his ranking against my ranking?
I have all respect for Murray. I like him as a person and as a player, but you cannot put him as one of the favourites next to Roger and Rafa and myself here at the Australian Open, he added. According to Fox Sports, Djokovic remains a long way ahead of Murray on rankings points, with 10,650 to Murrays 7190. But he will lose a significant number of those if he does not repeat his 2008 feat of winning this tournament. (ANI)
- Federer tips Nadal to win Australian Open - Jan 15, 2011
- Federer, Azarenka top seeds at London Olympics - Jul 24, 2012
- Oz Open: Nadal, Clijsters touted as favourites to win - Jan 16, 2011
- Djokovic ends seven year Federer-Nadal domination at the top - Jul 04, 2011
- US Open: Somdev takes on Murray, Sania plays Peer - Aug 26, 2011
- Djokovic the player to beat at Melbourne Park - Jan 15, 2012
- Nadal beats Federer, wins sixth French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Djokovic, new king of tennis in 2011 - Dec 21, 2011
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Federer erases doubts with battling win over Berdych - Aug 14, 2010
- Olympics: Federer acknowledges he's favourite - Jul 27, 2012
- US Open: Top four men cruise into semis - Sep 10, 2011
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- US Open: Nadal ousts Murray, sets up final clash with Djokovic - Sep 11, 2011
- Nadal beats Murray, to meet Djokovic in Wimbledon final (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
Tags: andy murray, australian open, australian open champion, bookies, contenders, favourites, federer djokovic, fox sports, grand slam events, jeremy chardy, match, melbourne, murrays, novak djokovic, public imagination, rafa, rafael nadal, ranked player, roger federer, straight sets