Djokovic outlasts Federer to set US Open final against NadalSeptember 12th, 2010 - 1:25 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Sep 12(ANI): Serb tennis star Novak Djokovic saved two match points and came back from behind to end World No two Roger Federer’s run of six consecutive US Open finals at Flushing Meadows.
In a dramatic final set of shifting fortunes, extravagant winners and unexpected errors, Djokovic held his game together to win the semi-final 5-7 6-1 5-7 6-2 7-5 in a three-hour 44-minute battle.
Djokovic saved the match points while trailing 5-4 and serving.
He erased the first with a swinging forehand volley winner to cap an 11-stroke point, and the second with a forehand winner, then wound up holding for 5-all, The New York Daily News reports.
The only service break of the fifth set would come in the following game, when Federer missed forehands on the last two points to allow Djokovic to go ahead 6-5.
Djokovic then served out for victory with the last point going on for 22 strokes.
Talking about the match, Djokovic said: “One of those matches, you’ll always remember in your career.”
Federer had beaten Djokovic in their last three encounters at Flushing Meadows- twice in the semis and once in the final (2007).
The Swiss insisted that he would be back fighting for major titles after falling before the final in each of the last three Grand Slams.
“It’s a tough loss for me, but it’s only going to fuel me with more motivation to practice hard and get back to Grand Slam finals,” Federer said.
The third seed will now face World Number one Rafael Nadal in Sunday’s final. The Spaniard beat Russia’s Mikhail Youzhny 6-2 6-3 6-4. (ANI)
- Djokovic shatters dream final with knockout of Federer - Sep 12, 2010
- Nadal beats Youzhny to reach first US Open final - Sep 12, 2010
- Roundup: Berdych stuns Federer out of US Open - Sep 06, 2012
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- Federer ends Youznhy's Wimbledon charge in quarters - Jul 05, 2012
- US Open: Wozniacki rallies; Federer, Williams cruise to quarters - Sep 06, 2011
- US Open: Murray wins Grand Slam title at last (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Murray first Brit to win Grand Slam singles title (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic to face Ferrer in semis - Sep 07, 2012
- Djokovic pips Nadal to win longest Grand Slam final - Jan 29, 2012
- Triumphant Nadal blows past Verdasco and closer to final - Sep 10, 2010
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Murray storms into US Open final - Sep 09, 2012
- Nadal completes career Grand Slam with US Open victory (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
Tags: forehand, fortunes, grand slam finals, grand slams, match points, mikhail youzhny, motivation, new york daily news, novak djokovic, rafael nadal, roger federer, semis, service break, spaniard, strokes, tennis star, unexpected errors, volley, york daily news, york sep