Djokovic confident of winning maiden French Open crownMay 26th, 2012 - 4:25 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 26 (IANS) The World No.1 tennis player Novak Djokovic has backed himself to win the 2012 French Open though he conceded clay court expert Rafael Nadal remained favourite to bag his seventh title at Roland Garros.
“My mindset is always positive and I always expect a lot from myself. I have had the best year and a half of my career. I believe that I am at the peak of my career at this moment,” said Djokovic, who is on the threshold of winning four consecutive Grand Slam event.
“Winning four Grand Slam tournaments in a row would definitely mean the world to me from that perspective, but I haven’t thought about that too much because I do not want to put too much pressure on myself,” the 25-year-old Serbian player said.
In remarks posted on the French Open website, Djokovic noted that Nadal “is always favourite for this tournament… He’s most successful tennis player ever to play on this surface.”
“You can always expect him to be at the top, especially at the later stages of Grand Slams and other events,” he said.
The Serbian had lost in straight sets against Nadal in Monte Carlo and Rome Masters earlier in the month.
- Nadal wins record seventh French Open (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal wins sixth Rome Masters title - May 21, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- Murray out of Madrid Open with injury - May 05, 2012
- I dare to dream: Djokovic - Feb 07, 2012
- Nadal one win away from French Open title record - Jun 09, 2012
- Djokovic won't defend title at Serbian Open - Apr 26, 2012
- Doubles best bet for India in French Open - May 22, 2011
- Djokovic dreams big in Olympic year - Apr 19, 2012
- Calls for roof may intensify after rain delays in US Open - Sep 13, 2010
- Djokovic shatters dream final with knockout of Federer - Sep 12, 2010
- Wimbledon postponed by a week to let players rest - Jul 20, 2012
- French Open champion Li Na wants to 'remain the same' - May 26, 2012
Tags: clay court, court expert, french open, grand slam event, grand slam tournaments, grand slams, mindset, monte carlo, novak djokovic, open crown, paris, perspective, rafael nadal, roland, rome masters, straight sets, tennis player, threshold