Dixit annexes Malaysian Junior Open squash titleJune 2nd, 2009 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 2 (IANS) Ravi Dixit, an ICL academy player, became the first Indian to win the Milo All Star Malaysian Junior Open boys under-19 title in Kuala Lumpur.
Given top billing, Ravi had to go through six rounds before defeating home favourite Jo Wen Ng 11-8, 6-11, 12-10, 11-9 in the final.
In the semi-final, Ravi defeated compatriot Karan Malik 11-7, 1-11, 11-8, 12-10 and faced a tough competition from Australian Julius Krauss in the quarter-final before winning 11-6, 5-11, 11-4, 4-11, 11-9.
It was Ravi’s third international title after winning the Scottish Junior and Penang Junior Open.
Last year, Ravi was the runner-up in the Boys u-17 category at the same event. Ravi was naturally delighted after his victory and thanked the Squash Rackets Federation of India, the Delhi Squash association, his coaches for supporting him and the Indian government.
Karan Malik finished in fourth position in the Boys under-19 category. Ramit Tandon secured third position in the Boys under-17 section after losing his semi-final match to Ng Long Fung from Hong Kong 9-11, 11-9, 3-11, 11-8, 11-5.
Robin Mann finished third one head of Solomon Ravi playing in his maiden international tournament in the Boys under-11 category.
Ravi Dixit, Karan Malik and Ramit Tandon along with coach Gautam Das participated in this event with support from the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sport under the scheme for “Preparation of Indian teams for the CWG 2010″.
- WSF Squash: India to meet Egypt in final - Feb 04, 2012
- Dixit, Anaka lead way into national squash semis - Oct 27, 2010
- Tandon shocks top seed Dixit for junior squash title - Oct 29, 2010
- Ashita puts out second seed Akanksha in Indian Open squash - Sep 08, 2011
- India boys beat Pakistan, grab maiden Asian Junior Squash - Jan 30, 2011
- ISA trainees to the fore in squash meet - Oct 24, 2009
- India finish fifth in World junior squash - Aug 08, 2010
- Mahesh, Anaka in finals of Indian Open squash - Sep 09, 2011
- India lose to Canada in world junior squash - Aug 06, 2010
- Four Indians advance in world junior squash - Jul 29, 2010
- Egypt beat India in squash World Cup final - Feb 05, 2012
- Shah, Malhotra score upset wins in junior squash - Oct 28, 2010
- Ravi, Dipika champs in Asian Junior Squash - Jul 11, 2010
- Indian boys in round of 16 of World Junior Squash - Aug 04, 2010
- Petroleum bag three out of four titles in National TT - Jan 05, 2012
Tags: compatriot, final match, hong kong, India, indian government, kuala lumpur, long fung, milo, open boys, penang, ravi dixit, scottish junior, solomon, squash association, squash rackets, third position, top billing, victory, winning 11, youth affairs