Dix out of 200m for London GamesJune 30th, 2012 - 6:30 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, June 30 (IANS) American sprinter Walter Dix, third in the 100 and 200 meters at the 2008 Olympics and second in both events at last year’s World championships, failed to qualify for either event at the London Olympics.
Dix withdrew from the 200m heat Friday at the US Olympic Track and Field Trials after injuring his left leg in Saturday’s semifinals of the 100m, reported Xinhua.
With his left leg bandaged, Dix was last in last Sunday’s 100m final in 10.95. His pull out in the 200m means he will miss both events at the London Olympics.
The 2004 Olympic 100m champion Justin Gatlin also scratched from the 200m at the US trials after securing his London berth in the 100m last Sunday.
Wallace Spearmon, who was disqualified from a bronze medal spot at the 2008 Olympics for a late-race lane violation, had the fastest qualifying time in the 200m at 20.17 seconds.
Shawn Crawford, the 2004 Olympic champion and 2008 Olympic runner-up in the 200m, was fourth-fastest overall at 20.32.
- Bolt, Blake to lead Caribbean challenge - Aug 22, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt breezes into 200m final - Aug 09, 2012
- Bolt wins but disappointed by time - May 26, 2012
- Jamaican trio wins but Fraser-Pryce beaten again - Aug 27, 2012
- Gay says Olympic 100m open affair after Paris win - Jul 08, 2012
- Powell edged out but Walker posts world-leading time - May 12, 2012
- Bolt screams to Olympic 100m gold (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Carl Lewis doubts Bolt's Olympics 100m title defence - Jul 15, 2012
- US eye 30 athletics medals at London Olympics - Jun 27, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt claims historic double with 200m gold (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Isenbayeva misses hat-trick; second gold for Sanchez after eight (Athletics Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Bolt, Pearson named IAAF athletes of the year - Nov 13, 2011
- Olympics: Bolt, Blake headline weekend track action - Aug 03, 2012
- Bolt says 18 seconds a possibility for 200m - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: 2004 olympic 100m champion, 2008 olympics, berth, bronze medal, last sunday, left leg, london games, london olympics, olympic 100m, olympic champion, olympic track and field, olympic track and field trials, olympics, sprinter, track and field, track and field trials, us olympic track and field trials, wallace spearmon, world championships, xinhua