Diwali, New Year in Karnataka as India win World CupApril 3rd, 2011 - 1:31 am ICT by IANS
Bangalore, April 3 (IANS) Karnataka celebrated India winning the cricket World Cup in style - turning the Saturday night into a double whammy of Diwali and New Year revelry.
Deafening sounds filled the air as firecrackers lit the skies and thousands of people poured on to the streets across the state to share the exhilaration of India beating Sri Lanka at Wankhede stadium in Mumbai to lift the glittering cup after a 28 year wait.
Popular shopping areas and youth hangouts like M.G. Road, Brigade Road and Commercial Street in the heart of Bangalore were crammed with hundreds of cheering, flag waving, whistling and shouting people.
The scene was no different in residential areas with popular shopping complexes like Jayanagar in south Bangalore, Malleshwaram in north, Koramangala in the east and Rajajinagar in the west.
Like they do to celebrate New Year eve, people hugged strangers and greeted each other to share the joy.
People in major towns across the state like Mangalore on the west coast, Bidar in northern tip, Davangere in central part and Mysore in the south also joined in the celebrations, dancing and cheering the victory.
- Music, dance and crackers greet New Year in Bangalore - Jan 01, 2012
- Bangalore traders shut shop over FDI in retail - Dec 01, 2011
- Cyclone Thane clouds year-end revelry in Bangalore - Dec 30, 2011
- Big B wishes Team India all the best for final - Mar 31, 2011
- Indian expats sing and dance to celebrate victory - Apr 03, 2011
- India in carnival mode after World Cup win (Roundup) - Apr 03, 2011
- Mumbai erupts in celebrations, awaits manic Saturday (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- People partied on streets to celebrate India's World Cup win - Apr 03, 2011
- Crackers and cries of joy in Hyderabad - Apr 03, 2011
- Kolkatans celebrate cricket World Cup win - Apr 03, 2011
- Billion hearts, one dream: India prays for encore - Apr 02, 2011
- Spurt in demand for cricket-themed firecrackers as World Cup, Holi coincide - Mar 18, 2011
- Shutdown hits life in Karnataka - Sep 20, 2012
- World Cup party continues in Kolkata - Apr 03, 2011
- Celebrations erupt in Mumbai - Mar 31, 2011
Tags: bidar, cricket world cup, davangere, diwali, double whammy, exhilaration, firecrackers, jayanagar, karnataka, koramangala, mangalore, mumbai, mysore, new year eve, northern tip, rajajinagar, residential areas, revelry, shopping areas, shopping complexes