Diwakar scores four goals as India hold Malaysia 5-5January 17th, 2009 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Jan 17 (IANS) Skipper Diwakar Ram scored four goals, including a hat-trick, as India juniors fought back to hold Malaysia 5-5 in a preliminary round game of the men’s hockey tournament of the Australian Youth Olympic Festival here Saturday.India have already qualified for Sunday’s final where they meet Australia.
The last league match saw fortunes fluctuating as both team were locked 3-3 at half-time.
India grabbed an early lead with a strike by Jay Karan in the seventh minute.
Malaysia drew level two minutes later as Abdul Gaffar beat Indian custodian Mrinal Chaubey.
Ram sank in India’s second goal in the 19th minute off a penalty corner, but the joy was shortlived as Ahmad Tajuddin restored parity in the 21st minute.
The Indian captain put his team ahead again three minutes later, drag flicking with precision past the Malaysian goalkeeper.
The tenacious Malaysians fought back as Abdul Gaffar netted one from a corner in the 33rd minute to make it 3-3.
Malaysia surprised the crowd with two quick goals within a minute early in the second half. Makbul Singh and Abdul Hamid both scored in the 39th minute to give Malaysia a two goal cushion.
Shocked by this sudden reversal, India made repeated forays into the Malaysian circle only to be thwarted by an alert defence.
However Ram was able to narrow the margin in the 61st minute to record a hat-trick before converting another penalty corner three minutes from the end.
- Azlan Shah Cup: Rupinder drag-flicks India past Britain 3-1 - May 06, 2011
- India thrash Sri Lanka 11-0 in Junior Asia Cup - May 04, 2012
- Indian eves thrash Singapore 9-0 in junior Asia Cup hockey - Jun 29, 2012
- PNB XI to clash with ONGC in Nehru hockey final - Nov 24, 2011
- Champions Trophy: Australia beat Pakistan 6-1, NZ hold Netherlands 3-3 - Dec 06, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: India squander two-goal lead, lose to Korea 2-3 - May 05, 2011
- Asian Champions Trophy: India rally to draw 2-2 against Malaysia - Sep 07, 2011
- Azlan Shah: India's medal hopes dashed as New Zealand crush them 7-3 - May 12, 2011
- India suffer humiliating 1-3 loss to Pakistan in Azlan Shah Hockey (Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Indian hockey team go down 2-6 to Australia - Jun 27, 2010
- India pummel Egypt 7-1, to meet South Korea in Azlan Shah final - May 15, 2010
- Botafogo beat rivals Vasco da Gama 3-1 - Mar 19, 2012
- Azlan Shah cup: India hold on Australia 1-1 - May 08, 2011
- Junior Asia Cup: India play 2-2 draw with Pakistan - May 06, 2012
- Germany beat Japan to win Algarve Cup - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: abdul hamid, ahmad, diwakar, forays, fortunes, goalkeeper, hat trick, hockey tournament, indian captain, indian custodian, jay karan, juniors, malaysians, olympic festival, parity, skipper, sudden reversal, tajuddin, three minutes, time india