Discovery to air Indian Army Women’s Everest Expedition (Lead)May 26th, 2012 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) Discovery Channel will air a programme on the Indian Army’s women scaling Mount Everest.
This is the first time an army women’s contingent has scaled the Everest summit from the South Ridge route. The route was used by Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay in 1953.
The Indian Army has appreciated the efforts of Discovery Channel to undertake the coverage of such an expedition for the first time. “Such coverage … will provide a platform for future joint ventures with the Discovery Channel on issues related to sports and adventure in the Indian Army,” Lt. Gen. S.P. Tanwar, director general of military training, said in a statement.
The collaboration with the Indian army was also a first for Discovery.
The production team of the channel went with the expedition to capture the gruelling attempt on the summit by a group of seven Indian Army women officers.
The first army women’s team to scale Everest in 2005 had approached from the North route via Tibet.
“Discovery Channel is delighted to cover this unique and distinguished expedition by Indian Army’s women officers. We are committed to present stories of success and achievement from India to audiences around the world,” said Rahul Johri, senior vice president and general manager - South Asia, Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific.
The army team was led by Col. Ajay Kothiyal and included seven Indian Army women officers: Capt. Deepika Rathore (Rajasthan), Capt. Namrata Rathore (Uttarakhand), Capt. Prachi R. Gole (Maharastra), Maj. N. Linyu (Nagaland), Maj. Neha Bhatnagar (Rajasthan), Capt. Poonam Sangwan (Haryana) and Capt. Smitha (Karnataka).
The programme is expected to be aired later this year.
- Discovery to cover Indian Army women's Everest bid - May 26, 2012
- President flags-in Indian Army's Everest team - Jul 03, 2012
- Indian Army women's team to again attempt Mt. Everest (Lead, superseding prervious story) - Mar 12, 2012
- (VM) Indian Army women's team to scale Mount Everest - Mar 12, 2012
- IAF team to scale Mount Everest - Apr 13, 2011
- Indian Air Force team conquers Mt Everest - May 21, 2011
- More IAF climbers summit Everest (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Army to scale world's eighth highest peak - Mar 08, 2011
- Indians among top Everest conquerors - Jul 15, 2011
- Army team scales Mount Manaslu - May 09, 2011
- Bravehearts write new records on Mt Everest - May 07, 2011
- Indian schoolboy rewrites history on the Himalayas - May 20, 2011
- Four selected for Tenzing Norgay Award - Aug 12, 2011
- Everest superstar eyes 20th summit - Mar 12, 2010
- IAF women officers scale new heights, summit Mt. Kamet (With Images) - May 25, 2010
Tags: army lt, army team, army women, asia discovery, bhatnagar, deepika, discovery channel, discovery networks asia, edmund hillary and tenzing norgay, everest expedition, everest summit, indian army, maharastra, namrata, poonam, prachi, rathore, ridge route, sports and adventure, uttarakhand