Discarded Kiwi opener How called in as cover for doubtful FlynnMarch 24th, 2009 - 1:52 pm ICT by ANI
Napier, Mar.24 (ANI): New Zealands cricket selectors have called in Jamie How as a replacement for injured batsman Daniel Flynn for the second Test against India to be played here later this week.
Flynn was a virtual spectator at New Zealand’’s practice session today before leaving midway through for scans on the left hand damaged by Indian pace bowler Ishant Sharma while scoring a dogged 67 on Saturday, during the first test loss at Hamilton.
The 23-year-old was in obvious discomfort after taking throw downs for a short period of time. He was unable to bat in the nets or take part in fielding drills, returning to training late in the session equipped with the scans.
New Zealand Cricket selector John Wright witnessed Flynn’’s problems, conveyed the news to convener Glenn Turner and late this afternoon former test opener Jamie How was summoned to join the squad as cover.
How, who averages 23.36 from 18 tests, was chosen as the stand-by first drop ahead of fellow-test discard Peter Fulton.
How fell from grace during the latter stages of the one-day series against the West Indies in January — the culmination of a lean trot that previously saw him struggle during two test losses in Australia.
Ironically he scored 54 in his last Test innings at McLean Park, a counter-attacking cameo that was unable to save his Test berth. (ANI)
- Chris Martin backs misfiring batsmen - Dec 08, 2009
- Run fest expected in Napier ODI - Jan 31, 2011
- Black Caps boost batting line-up for Napier ODI - Jan 31, 2011
- Jamie How called as cover for Daniel Flynn - Mar 24, 2009
- Rain halts Kiwi bid to win Napier Test - Dec 15, 2009
- Narine revives Windies with late wickets - Jul 26, 2012
- New Zealand drops Fulton for Napier Test - Dec 07, 2009
- Pak team defuses rumours of conflict between pacers - Dec 09, 2009
- New Zealand reach 233 for three at tea against India - Mar 26, 2009
- India bowlers strike, New Zealand 98 for 3 (Lunch report) - Mar 26, 2009
- Taylor, Ryder rescue New Zealand in Napier Test (Tea report) - Mar 26, 2009
- Stop being selfish, Mohsin Khan tells Akmal - Oct 17, 2011
- Kiwis face setback with fresh O'Brien injury - Dec 09, 2009
- New Zealand 448 for 5 at lunch on second day - Mar 27, 2009
- India Emerging Players force New Zealand A to follow on - Aug 07, 2011
Tags: berth, cameo, cricket selectors, culmination, first test, glenn turner, kiwi, last test, latter stages, left hand, mclean park, napier, new zealand cricket, period of time, practice session, second test, short period, test innings, virtual spectator, west indies