Disastrous start for India in third Test (Lunch report)August 10th, 2011 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
Birmingham, Aug 10 (IANS) Put in to bat, India made a disastrous start to the third cricket Test against England and crashed to 75 for four in the first innings at lunch on the first day at Edgbaston here Wednesday.
England’s fast bowlers continued their terrific performance with Stuart Broad and Tim Bresnan picking up two wickets each in the first session when Indian batsmen were done in by the seaming conditions.
Virender Sehwag went for a first-ball duck in the start of the second over to Broad, who also dismissed batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar (1) caught at third slip by Jimmy Anderson.
Gautam Gambhir was bowled after he had worked hard for 38 runs by Tim Bresnan. The burly fast bowler also picked up Rahul Dravid (22) at the stroke of lunch with an excellent delivery that was pitched on a perfect length and moved little to hit the off-stump.
V.V.S. Laxman was batting on 13 as England laughed their way to the dressing room after dominating the first session.
India made a convincing start with Gambhir hitting Anderson for two fours in the first over. But Sehwag, who is making a comeback after recuperating from a shoulder surgery, tried to leave Broad’s first delivery and was given out via the Decision Review System (DRS) after Hotspot indicated the ball had brushed his top glove.
Gambhir and Dravid led the fight with a 51-run stand before Gambhir inside-edged an attempted off-drive at Bresnan onto his leg-stump.
Bresnan ended a bright morning session for England, under overcast conditions, with the best delivery of the day that appeared to be angling in but held its line to knock back Dravid’s off-stump.
- Indian batsmen struggle against England in Edgbaston Test (Roundup) - Aug 11, 2011
- Dhoni leads India's fight-back in Edgbaston Test (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Bresnan's fiery spell embarrasses India (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- England maul India by 319 runs, take 2-0 (Roundup) - Aug 02, 2011
- Nottingham Test: India lose Dravid early chasing a record 478-run target - Aug 01, 2011
- Double strikes from Broad reduce India to 102/2 (Lunch Report) - Jul 23, 2011
- England strike to claim three wickets at Lord's (Lunch report) - Jul 25, 2011
- Anderson takes five, England beat India by 196 runs (Roundup) - Jul 26, 2011
- Raina, Dhoni hold fort for India after Tendulkar departs (Tea report) - Jul 25, 2011
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs England, Third Test, Day One - Aug 10, 2011
- Second Test: Dravid, Yuvraj take India to 215 for four (Tea report) - Jul 30, 2011
- Laxman's half-century takes India to 117/2 (Lunch report) - Jul 30, 2011
- England dislodge India from No.1 Test ranking with crushing win (Lead) - Aug 13, 2011
- Dravid scores century, India falter again (Lead) - Aug 22, 2011
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs England, Third Test, Day Four - Aug 13, 2011
Tags: cricket test, dravid, dressing room, edgbaston, fast bowlers, gautam gambhir, indian batsmen, jimmy anderson, lunch report, morning session, overcast conditions, sachin tendulkar, shoulder surgery, terrific performance, test lunch, third test, top glove, two fours, v v s laxman, wickets