Dis ex-butler Paul Burrell escapes perjury probeMay 10th, 2008 - 4:11 pm ICT by admin
London, May 10 (ANI): Royal butler Paul Burrell will not be prosecuted for perjury despite confessing he lied at Princess Dianas inquest.
Even coroner Lord Justice Scott Baker branded the 49-year-old a liar after he was filmed at a New York hotel admitting he did not tell the truth.
After the video was released, the Metropolitan Police investigated it.
The cops carried out a scoping exercise to see whether there were grounds to launch a formal investigation into perjury.
But the Met, who tried and failed to prosecute Burrell in 2002 for allegedly stealing hundreds of Dianas possessions following her death, have now been advised by CPS lawyers there is no realistic prospect of prosecution.
Cops believe it cannot be proved he deliberately lied on oath.
His evidence was also not important to the outcome of the inquest, as required for a perjury conviction, and Burrell said he made his confession after he had been drinking.
After his lies first came to light, Lord Justice Scott Baker asked Florida-based Burrell to return to Britain to explain himself. But the butler refused fearing he would be arrested.
“We have reviewed the available evidence in relation to the perjury allegations made against Paul Burrell and sought the view of both the Crown Prosecution Service and coroner Lord Justice Scott Baker, The Sun quoted the Met, as saying.
“As a result we have reached the decision that there is insufficient admissible evidence to prove that an offence of perjury has occurred and therefore do not believe it to be appropriate to instigate a police investigation, the Met added. (ANI)
- Scotland Yard to probe Dis ex butler Paul Burrell over perjury - Apr 09, 2008
- Paul Burrell wont be investigated for perjury during Di inquest - Mar 08, 2008
- Dis former butler Burrell may face perjury probe - Mar 07, 2008
- Kate will wear ghost of Diana on hand: Ex-butler - Apr 26, 2011
- Stalker threatens to kill Princess Diana's butler - Aug 20, 2012
- Dis ex-butler Paul Burrell recalled to inquest over discrepancies - Feb 23, 2008
- Burrell trying to wriggle out of grilling at Di inquest - Mar 03, 2008
- Princess Diana's former butler 'wants to patch up with William' - Nov 22, 2010
- Prince William preparing to wed Kate Middleton, says Diana's former butler - Aug 15, 2010
- Paul Burrells wifes outrage at his refusal to return to Di inquest - Mar 08, 2008
- Pakistan cricket 'spot-fixing' file handed over to UK Crown Prosecution Service - Sep 18, 2010
- Pak spot-fixing probe gathers pace as 'second evidence file' passed to Prosecution - Nov 06, 2010
- 'Innocent' Princess Di's driver 'set up' by French authorities, claims book - Mar 15, 2010
- Paul Burrell to be subject of comedy biopic? - Apr 07, 2009
- Jail Kanishka bomber for 14 more years, court told - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: admissible evidence, confession, coroner, cps, crown prosecution service, formal investigation, inquest, liar, lord justice, metropolitan police, new york hotel, offence, paul burrell, perjury conviction, police investigation, possessions, princess dianas, realistic prospect, scoping exercise, scott baker