Dipika reaches Gold Series semis, creates historyAugust 17th, 2012 - 5:06 pm ICT by IANS
Canberra, Aug 17 (IANS) India’s Dipika Pallikal recorded a straight sets win over American Amanda Sobhy at the Australian Squash Open to become the first Indian to enter the semifinals of a Gold Series event.
Following her win over sixth seeded Frenchwoman Camille Serme, Dipika played brilliantly in her quarterfinal against Amanda, who had earlier caused an upset beating World No.3 Jenny Duncalf in the pre-quarters here at the National Convention Centre.
The Indian, in her third appearance here, stamped her authority over the 19-year-old Amanda with a 11-5, 11-7, 12-10 win.
“Yesterday, I started slow. But today I paid special attention to warming up well before the match. I started well and in the first two sets, was 6-0 and 6-1 up against Amanda,” said Dipika after her victory.
“I knew that she played very well in the front area, so I stuck to my game plan and pinned her to the back corners.”
Proud of her protege, squash legend Sarah Fitzgerald said: “Dipika’s win today is important for her confidence and belief that she can go one step further. She played aggressive and smart squash today and did not let her opponent get into the match.”
Dipika reached her career-best ranking of World No.14 in February under the training Fitzgerald, which made her the highest ranked Indian squash player ever.
“Three years ago, I entered Australian Open as a qualifier and made it to the main draws and last year I lost in the first round. So coming here this year as the 11th seed and entering the semifinals feels very special,” said the 20-year-old.
Dipika will next face World No.4 Laura Massaro from England for a place in the final.
“It is going to be a good match tomorrow. Last time I played against Laura it was a very close match and I lost three sets to two, but it is a new day tomorrow. She is the World No.4 and a very experienced player, so it will be a tough match and I am looking forward to it.”
Dipika created history in May by being part of the first Indian women’s team to win the Asian Squash Championship title.
- Squash: Dipika shocks Serme to enter last 8 - Aug 16, 2012
- Dipika loses in semis of Australian Open squash - Aug 18, 2012
- Australian Squash Open concluded - Aug 19, 2012
- Dipika goes down fighting in Punj Llyod squash - Dec 17, 2010
- Dipika loses to Nour - Jun 29, 2010
- Ghosal in semi-finals of Chennai Open squash - Mar 05, 2010
- Dipika in semis; Anaka bows out - Jun 28, 2010
- India suffer second defeat in Squash World Cup - Mar 09, 2011
- Matthew-Willstrop set up all England final in Punj Lloyd squash - Dec 18, 2010
- Joshna enters WISPA Challenger squash final - Apr 22, 2011
- WSF Squash: India to meet Egypt in final - Feb 04, 2012
- Ghosal lone Indian survivor in Chennai Open squash - Mar 04, 2010
- Ghosal goes down fighting in Chennai Open squash - Mar 07, 2010
- Dipika loses title clash at Tournament of Champions - Jan 27, 2012
- Squash World Cup: Malaysia shock France to enter semis - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,