Dipika, Anaka among last eight in squash quarterfinalsJune 27th, 2010 - 12:26 pm ICT by IANS
Cologne, June 27 (IANS) Dipika Pallikal and Anaka Alankamony from India have joined four Egyptians and two others from the US in the quarterfinals of the World Junior Women’s Individual Squash Championships under way here.
Second seed Dipika last night defeated Salma Hany of Egypt 12-10, 11-8, 11-8, while Anaka overcame Catalina Pelaez of Colombia 11-8, 11-7, 11-7.
Anaka was the first to enter the quarters after her clinical display against a determined Catalina Pelaez from Colombia. Although it was a straight game win, Anaka was drawn into many gruelling rallies where Catalina retrieved some amazing balls diving around the court.
Anaka kept her cool and, despite being down in both the first and third games, played some delightful volleys and drops and often wrong-footed Catalina with her cross-court drives. In the end, Anaka proved to be too consistent for her senior opponent.
Dipika trailed 0-5 in the first game to level scores and take the game to the tie- breaker against Salma Hany from Egypt. The hard drive and boast were used extensively by both players throughout the match, each trying to out-hit the other.
Although Dipika made errors on her boast, she proved her superiority with her lethal drives to win the crucial first game and the match in straight games to shrug off her defeat earlier this year at the British Juniors.
It was a perfect day for the Indians as Aparajitha and Anwesha playing for positions won their respective matches in straight games to confirm they would be ranked top 24.
Indian results (pre-quarterfinals):
(2) Dipika Pallikal (IND) bt (9/16) Salma Hany (EGY) 12-10, 11-8, 11-8; (8) Anaka Alankamony (IND) bt (9/16) Catalina Pelaez (COL) 11-8, 11-8, 11-7.
Play-offs: Aparajitha Balamurukan (IND) bt Amalie Bornaes (DEN) 11-1, 11-4, 11-2; Anwesha Reddy (IND) bt Oxane Ah-Hu (FRA) 11-5, 11-3, 11-7.
- Dipika, Anaka advance to round 16 - Jun 26, 2010
- Anaka, Joshna in last 8 of Chennai Open squash - May 23, 2012
- Anaka, Joshna enter semis in Chennai Open - May 24, 2012
- World Junior Squash: Anaka, Mahesh in last eight - Jul 10, 2012
- Dipika, Joshna in last 8 - Apr 21, 2011
- National Squash championship: Malik ousts Jangra - Dec 08, 2011
- Indian girls advance in world junior team squash - Jul 27, 2011
- Ghoshal, Pallikal win national squash titles - Dec 10, 2011
- Winning start by Indian teams at Asian Squash - May 02, 2012
- Dipika in semis; Anaka bows out - Jun 28, 2010
- Indian teams make Asian Squash finals - May 05, 2012
- Joshna, Dipika in quarter-finals of Asian squash championship - May 01, 2010
- Egypt too good for India in U-21 Squash World Cup - Feb 02, 2012
- Dipika, Anwesha, Surbhi in Junior World squash third round - Jul 29, 2009
- Ghosal, Pallikal in title round of National Squash championship - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: amalie, anaka, boast, british juniors, cross court, dipika pallikal, egyptians, first game, hany, junior women, oxane, pelaez, perfect day, play offs, rallies, squash championships, straight game, straight games, tie breaker, volleys