Dilshan, Sangakkara help Sri Lanka get 320/8February 8th, 2009 - 4:14 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Feb 8 (IANS) Desperate to salvage some pride, Sri Lanka put up a splendid batting display to set a 321-run target for India in the fifth and the last One-day international at the Premadasa Stadium here Sunday.
Opting to bat, Tillekaratne Dilshan held the innings with a well-struck 97 while Kumar Sangakkara scored a 70-ball 84 as Sri Lanka made a formidable 320 for eight in 50 overs against India, who have already taken a 4-0 lead in this five-match series.
Sanath Jayasuriya (37) gave a flying start to Sri Lanka’s efforts to prevent the ignominy of a 5-0 whitewash and Dilshan and Sangakkara played sensible innings to pose a tough challenge for India.
Jayasuriya started his onslaught by hitting Ishant Sharma (3-60) with his trademark clip over mid-wicket. In the young fast bowler’s fourth over, Jayasuriya pulled him twice for four over the square leg boundary.
Jayasuriya departed in the 11th over top-edging Irfan Pathan to Suresh Raina. But even after his dismissal, the scoring rate didn’t decline as both Dilshan and Sangakkara kept on piling runs at a steady rate and added 143 runs for the second wicket.
The duo frustrated the Indians and forced skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni to try out nine bowlers. Comeback man Lakshmipathy Balaji proved expensive and conceded 32 runs from his five overs while debutant Ravindra Jadeja gave away 40 from his six overs.
It took a brilliant effort from Rohit Sharma to get rid of Sangakkara off Yuvraj Singh. Dilshan and Thilan Kadamby (26) kept the scoreboard moving. Rohit was again superb on the field and this time his direct throw stopped Dilshan three runs away from a deserving century.
- India fail to whitewash Sri Lanka, win series 4-1 (Lead) - Feb 08, 2009
- India set an improbable target by Sri Lanka (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Openers give Sri Lanka a good start (Lunch Report) - Jul 26, 2010
- Scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, fifth ODI - Feb 14, 2012
- Kohli fashions a miracle chase for India (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Sangakkara, Pranavitana grind Indian bowlers (Lead) - Jul 26, 2010
- Sri Lanka consolidate after a good start (Tea Report) - Jul 26, 2010
- Sri Lanka make confident start against India (Lunch Report) - Jul 18, 2010
- India restrict Sri Lanka to 236/9 (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs Sri Lanka, first ODI - Jul 22, 2012
- Sri Lanka annihilate India to level series (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, Day 1, Third Test - Aug 03, 2010
- Tea scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, Day 1, Second Test - Jul 26, 2010
- Scorecard: India vs. Sri Lanka, second ODI - Jul 24, 2012
- Sri Lanka bat in third ODI - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: bowlers, decline, dhoni, ignominy, indians, ishant sharma, jadeja, jayasuriya, match, onslaught, pathan, premadasa stadium, salvage, scoreboard, skipper, square leg, target, whitewash, wicket, yuvraj singh