Diego signs with Juventus in move from BremenMay 26th, 2009 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, May 26 (DPA) Brazilian playmaker Diego has signed a five-year contract with Italian Serie A giants Juventus in a move from German side Werder Bremen, both clubs confirmed Tuesday.
Juve said on their website that they will pay a transfer fee of 24.5 million euros ($34.2 million). Depending on possible bonuses Bremen could even receive 27 million euros.
Diego Ribas da Cunha, 24, is expected to earn 3.5 million euros per season.
“I’m enthusiastic about Juventus and proud to become part of such a prestigious club, which I have dreamt of since I was boy,” Diego said on Juve’s website.
“After the experiences in Portugal and in the (German) Bundesliga I can measure myself with football of very high level, in a very difficult and competitive league.”
“It’s the right moment in my career to take such an important step and I’m certain that at Juve I can reach big goals,” he said.
Juve director general Jean-Claude Blanc said that Diego’s technical skills are important to strengthen the team.
“We have always said that our goal is to put together young players an champions and Diego sums up both characteristics,” Blanc said.
“Although he is only 24, he is a player of great experience, with more than seven years as professional at high levels. I’m certain that his contribution will be important to keep Juventus growing and to take a further step forward toward our next goals.”
Diego underwent the mandatory medical in Turin Monday and the same day both clubs finalized the deal. His original contract in Bremen was until 2011.
Diego began playing in Brazil with Santos in 2001, moved on to Portugal’s Porto in 2004 and to Werder two years later for six million euros.
He played 28 games with Brazil’s national team, was named Germany’s best player in 2007 and helped Bremen into the UEFA Cup final they lost last week against Ukraine’s Shakhtar Donetsk.
Diego will play his last match for the northern Germans Saturday in the German cup final against Bayer Leverkusen.
“I want to concentrate at my maximum on the final Saturday… I want to leave the fans of Werder in the best possible way, because it’s thanks to them that I have grown up in these years, and I got to deserve this new opportunity,” said Diego.
- Bremen sign Dutch midfielder Eljero Elia till 2016 - Jul 11, 2012
- Czech defender Selassie joins Werder - Jun 22, 2012
- Diego confirms Juve intentions, Bayern distance themselves - May 15, 2009
- Nigerian striker Akpala joins Werder Bremen - Aug 24, 2012
- Chelsea's 33 mn euro bid for Willian rejected - Jul 19, 2012
- Blanc should stay with France: Benzema - Jun 24, 2012
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- Peruvian striker Pizzaro leaves Werder Bremen - May 16, 2012
- Denmark need top health in tough group (Group E profile) - May 30, 2010
- Werder win German Cup - May 31, 2009
- Werder Bremen reject Real Madrid offer for Oezil - Aug 14, 2010
- Benfica sign Brazilian striker Lima - Sep 02, 2012
- Hulk's Zenit move not certain - Aug 26, 2012
- German coach Loew drops Cacau from Euro 2012 squad - May 29, 2012
- Bayern Munich signs striker Pizarro - May 27, 2012
Tags: 5 million, best player, diego ribas da cunha, director general, dpa, german bundesliga, german cup, german side, germans, italian serie, jean claude, juve, juventus, last match, playmaker, prestigious club, right moment, shakhtar donetsk, turin, uefa cup