Didn’t play as we would have hoped, admits WhiteAugust 7th, 2011 - 5:13 pm ICT by IANS
Pallekele (Sri Lanka), Aug 7 (IANS) Australia’s Twenty20 captain Cameron White was frustrated at his team’s 35-run loss in the Twenty20 match against Sri Lanka here Saturday night.
Sri Lanka captain Tillakaratne Dilshan hit a magnificent 57-ball 104 not out as the hosts made 198 for three in their 20 overs, a total that proved unassailable for the Australians.
“Clearly didn’t play as we would have hoped,” White said. “Full credit to Sri Lanka, and Dilshan who played a wonderful innings. If anyone scores a hundred off 57 balls, it will be hard work to win the game from there. But look, there were some disappointing aspects of the game from our end as well.”
White defended his decision to stick with the pacemen Shane Watson (1-41), Johnson (1-47) and Brett Lee (1-38), who all received some treatment while John Hastings went for 0-34 off his three overs. But spinners Stephen O’Keefe and Steven Smith failed to bowl their full allotment of four overs each despite being economical.
Asked why neither spinner bowled four overs, White said: “There’s no reason. It’s just my gut feel at the time.”
“Shane Watson’s first two overs only went for 12, John Hastings’ first over only went for five. We were well in the game for the first 13 overs … high 80s or 90s with two wickets down and get a wicket there and the game changes. As we’ve seen, Dilshan took the game away from us.”
- Haddin, Siddle recalled for Oz T20 match against Sri Lanka - Oct 25, 2010
- Lee left out of Oz Twenty20 squad - Oct 25, 2010
- Haddin recalled to Australia side - Oct 26, 2010
- World T20: Australia axe Pattinson from preliminary squad - Jul 18, 2012
- O'Keefe hoping to give a different spin - Sep 21, 2011
- Australia beat England by four runs to win in Melbourne Twenty20 - Jan 14, 2011
- CL T20 scoreboard: T&T; vs New South Wales - Sep 28, 2011
- Record first-wicket stand helps Sri Lanka crush Zimbabwe (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Smith's approach to cricket inspires Oz spinner O'Keefe - Oct 31, 2010
- No more favourites, Australia begin their title defence Monday - Feb 20, 2011
- No room for both Tait and Lee in Oz WC squad - Jan 14, 2011
- Aamer fires Pakistan to T20 series sweep over Australia - Jul 07, 2010
- Champions League Tweny20: Blues win in Super Over - Sep 28, 2011
- Tharanga and Dilshan smash tons in Sri Lanka's 327/6 (Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- Australia beat Pakistan by 94 runs, lose series 1-2 - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: 80s, allotment, australians, balls, brett lee, cameron white, dilshan, game changes, hosts, john hastings, match, o keefe, saturday night, shane watson, spinner, sri lanka, steven smith, twenty20, wicket, wickets