Diaspora also celebrates India’s World Cup winApril 3rd, 2011 - 1:42 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 3 (IANS) Wherever they were and whatever the local time, the Indian diaspora were keenly following the India-Sri Lanka final and were ecstatic as India lifted the World Cup, as their comments on social networking sites like Facebook show.
“WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS……WE ARE THE BEST AND ALWAYS REMAIN THE BEST..INDIA ZINDABA (sic!) ” posted Geoffrey Cowasjee, who works in Australia, where it was well into the night.
For Sapna Mohan, a tourism agency executive in London, the long wait for India’s second World Cup title was worth it.
“we did it. India is the world cricket champion. we did in style, worth 28 years wait,” she posted on her page.
Sumita Valecha, a homemaker living in Chicago where her husband is pursuing an MBA, was avidly following the match.
“Sri Lanka at their scrambling best;),” she wrote at a time when the outcome was not still settled.
“Yup…Not Out!” was the response when a dismissal, sought to be reviewed by the Sri Lankan team, went India’s way.
A little later, Sumita was anxious over India’s position.
“The runs needed to balls remaining ratio is getting me a little antsy….they need some big shots now!!” she said.
But her concern proved misplaced.
“28 years, to the day, in the making…….YES!” she wrote before congratulating family and friends on the victory.
The celebrations across India were replicated abroad too.
“Well done team India you’ve made every Indian proud….ther’re going crazy all over London..a well deserved celebration indeed,” was Britain-based marketing professional Saurabh Arora’s status.
- India asks Sri Lanka to free Indian fishermen - Jul 23, 2012
- India-Sri Lanka CEOs Forum to hold first meet Saturday - Aug 03, 2012
- ICC World Cup trophy a 60 cm high silver-gold structure - Apr 01, 2011
- Big B hits Mumbai streets with tricolour to celebrate India's win - Apr 03, 2011
- Jayalalithaa slams Coast Guard call for curbs on fishing - Nov 26, 2011
- Pitch will help seamers in the first 10 overs: Ganguly - Apr 02, 2011
- Cricket first, poll meet with PM later! - Feb 02, 2012
- 17 held for betting on cricket World Cup final - Apr 05, 2011
- Sangakkara to take a call on his future following Sri Lanka's World Cup final loss - Apr 03, 2011
- Will India's vote drive Sri Lanka closer to China? - Mar 23, 2012
- iStream Bags internet rights for India-Sri Lanka series - Jul 18, 2012
- India can defend Asia Cup: Ganguly - Mar 12, 2012
- Maharashtra lawmakers fume over not getting World Cup tickets - Apr 01, 2011
- Goa taverns go high on World Cup final - Apr 02, 2011
- PM unlikely to watch World Cup final - Mar 31, 2011
Tags: 28 years, arora, big shots, celebrations, family and friends, homemaker, indian diaspora, living in chicago, long wait, match, mohan, New Delhi, sapna, saurabh, social networking sites, sri lankan team, sumita, tourism agency, world cricket, world cup title