Di Maria’s hamstring injury a blow to Real MadridNovember 7th, 2011 - 2:43 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Nov 7 (IANS) Real Madrid could be without winger Angel di Maria after the Argentinean injured a hamstring during his side’s 7-1 win at home to Osasuna in the Spanish La Liga football.
Di Maria, who had set up Real Madrid’s first three goals of the game with passes for Cristiano Ronaldo, Pepe and a pass for Gonzalo Higuain, suffered the injury as he sprinted and stretched to keep the ball in play three minutes into the second half.
He immediately went down on the pitch and had to be carried out of the ground on a stretcher. He will now undergo tests to find the full extent of the injury, but a torn muscle would sideline him for between 4-6 weeks, Xinhua reported.
The loss of the winger is an important blow to Real Madrid. Di Maria has begun this season in exceptional form and his three assists against Osasuna took his total to 10 for the season, making him an automatic first choice for Jose Mourinho.
The good news on the injury front for Real Madrid is that Sunday saw Turkish midfielder Nuri Sahin make his debut for the club following his summer signing from Borussia Dortmund.
Sahin played the last quarter hour of the game after replacing Sami Khedira on the pitch.
The midfielder has been sidelined since injuring his knee in pre-season training and his return to fitness will give Mourinho more options in midfield and permit him to rest Xabi Alonso, who has played more minutes than anyone else in the squad apart from goalkeeper Iker Casillas.
- Real Madrid work hard to beat Sporting Gijon - Apr 15, 2012
- Real Madrid face Valencia test in La Liga - Nov 18, 2011
- Mourinho confirms Sahin's return to fitness - Nov 06, 2011
- Di Maria to miss World Cup qualifiers due to injury - Nov 08, 2011
- Real Madrid counts on Ronaldo's return in Gijon tie - Dec 02, 2011
- Real Madrid remain unfazed despite draw with Malaga - Mar 20, 2012
- Real Madrid to play Apoel in Champions League - Apr 04, 2012
- Real Madrid face stiff test in Getafe - Feb 03, 2012
- Real Madrid entertain Granada at home - Sep 01, 2012
- Navas and Monreal back in Spain's squad for England, Costa Rica friendlies - Nov 08, 2011
- Easy win for Real Madrid, but Ronaldo suffers injury - Sep 03, 2012
- Real Madrid book place in last eight of Champions League - Mar 15, 2012
- Injury-troubled Real Madrid to take on Espanyol - Mar 03, 2012
- Easy fixture for Real Madrid at home - Jan 27, 2012
- Real Madrid face tough Osasuna test away - Mar 30, 2012
Tags: argentinean, iker casillas, jose mourinho, khedira, last quarter, madrid madrid, midfield, nuri, play three, pre season training, real madrid, ronaldo, sideline, spanish la liga, stretcher, three minutes, torn muscle, winger, xabi alonso, xinhua