Dhoni visits LehJune 5th, 2012 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 5 (IANS) Mahendra Singh Dhoni, brand ambassador of the Indian Army and captain of country’s cricket team, Tuesday arrived at Leh town of Jammu and Kashmir.
Dhoni, who is also an honorary lieutenant colonel of the Territorial Army, was briefed on the unique operational challenges faced by the army on account of rough terrain and hostile weather conditions in the Ladakh region.
Dhoni also interacted informally with the army personnel over a cup of tea at the Leh corps headquarters.
In the afternoon, Dhoni witnessed an exhibition match played between the army and a local cricket team at the highest cricket pitch in the world.
“Spirit of the game came alive when Dhoni cheered not only the army soldiers who had donned the cricket uniform but also the talented local Ladakhi boys when they played exciting shots during the match,” a defence release said.
Dhoni is expected Wednesday to visit the army troops deployed in the forward areas, including the world’s highest battlefield, the Siachen Glacier.
- Dhoni to spend time with soldiers in Kashmir - Jun 01, 2012
- Dhoni meets soldiers on Kashmir border (Lead,With Image) - Jun 02, 2012
- Dhoni visits Kargil, pays homage to martyrs of 1999 - Jun 06, 2012
- Dhoni, Bindra join elite group as honorary Lt. Colonels - Nov 01, 2011
- Dhoni attends Territorial Army Raising Day - Oct 11, 2011
- Dhoni wants to serve army after his cricketing career ends (With Images) - Jun 03, 2012
- Two army officers killed in fire in Siachen (Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Two army officers killed in Siachen bunker fire (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Army chief visits Ladakh - Nov 05, 2011
- Now, postal cover on Siachen glacier - Oct 06, 2011
- Northern army commander visits India-China border, Siachen - Mar 10, 2011
- Actor Mohanlal under Indian Army scanner for uniform misuse - Oct 11, 2011
- Tendulkar, Dhoni to fly in Sukhoi combat jets - Jun 30, 2011
- Army pilot killed in chopper crash (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Dhoni, Bindra to don olive green from Tuesday - Oct 31, 2011
Tags: army personnel, army soldiers, army troops, corps headquarters, cricket pitch, cricket team, cup of tea, forward areas, indian army, jammu and kashmir, ladakh region, lieutenant colonel, mahendra singh dhoni, operational challenges, rough terrain, siachen glacier, spirit of the game, territorial army, weather conditions, world spirit