Dhoni to spend time with soldiers in KashmirJune 1st, 2012 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 1 (IANS) India’s cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni, conferred the honorary lieutenant colonel rank by the army, will perform his military duties for a week beginning Saturday when he travels to Jammu and Kashmir, including Siachen base camp, to meet Indian Army troops.
Dhoni, who is enjoying a rare month-and-half break from international cricket, will travel to Jammu, Rajouri, Uri, Srinagar and Leh, apart from visiting the base camp of Siachen glacier, the world’s highest altitude battlefield, in his role as the army’s brand ambassador, officers at the Indian Army Headquarters told IANS here Friday.
“There are lots of prior commitments. I have to do some work with the ‘Territorial Army’ and ‘Save the Tiger’ campaign,” Dhoni told reporters here Thursday.
Dhoni, who got commissioned as a Parachute Regiment’s Territorial Army officer last year, will stay with the soldiers in their bunkers and camps during the tour till June 7.
Besides Dhoni, the army had also inducted another former India cricket captain, Kapil Dev, Malayalam movie star Mohan Lal and Olympic gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra as honorary lieutenant colonels in the Territorial Army to help inspire the country’s youths to join the armed forces for a career.
- Dhoni visits Leh - Jun 05, 2012
- Dhoni, Bindra join elite group as honorary Lt. Colonels - Nov 01, 2011
- Dhoni meets soldiers on Kashmir border (Lead,With Image) - Jun 02, 2012
- Dhoni, Bindra to don olive green from Tuesday - Oct 31, 2011
- Actor Mohanlal under Indian Army scanner for uniform misuse - Oct 11, 2011
- Dhoni wants to serve army after his cricketing career ends (With Images) - Jun 03, 2012
- Lt. Gen. S.K. Singh is new army vice chief - Nov 01, 2011
- Dhoni attends Territorial Army Raising Day - Oct 11, 2011
- Army pilot killed in chopper crash (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Dhoni visits Kargil, pays homage to martyrs of 1999 - Jun 06, 2012
- Two army officers killed in fire in Siachen (Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Two army officers killed in Siachen bunker fire (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Dhoni visits border areas in Kashmir - Jun 02, 2012
- Dhoni, Bindra conferred honorary rank of Lt Col - Sep 13, 2011
- Now, postal cover on Siachen glacier - Oct 06, 2011
Tags: abhinav bindra, army headquarters, army officer, army troops, cricket captain, india cricket, indian army, international cricket, kapil dev, lieutenant colonel, lieutenant colonels, mahendra singh dhoni, military duties, mohan lal, olympic gold medallist, parachute regiment, siachen glacier, srinagar, territorial army, tiger campaign