Dhoni, Tendulkar, Sehwag nominated for ICC AwardsAugust 18th, 2010 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Aug 18 (IANS) India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag have been nominated in three categories for the Internatonal Cricket Council (ICC) Awards 2010 to be held in Bangalore Oct 6.
Dhoni, Tendulkar and Sehwag have respectively been nominated in the Cricketer of the Year, Test Player of the Year and ODI Player of the Year categories.
Nine players from four teams have each been nominated in three different categories for the awards.
Hashim Amla and Jacques Kallis of South Africa, Shane Watson and Doug Bollinger of Australia and Sri Lanka’s Mahela Jayawardene feature prominently in the long-lists for the awards. In addition, there are nine players who are nominated in two distinct categories.
The awards include nine individual prizes and also features the selection of the Test and ODI Teams of the Year and the award to the side that has adhered most to the Spirit of Cricket.
A award new category, the LG People’s Choice Award, has also been introduced. This award will be chosen by cricket fans around the world who will get a chance to vote for their favourite player online from a short-list of five cricketers who will be picked by the ICC selection panel.
“The awards are an opportunity for the ICC and FICA to acknowledge and celebrate the remarkable performances of the world’s top players,” said ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat.
“It is also a chance for followers of our great sport to reflect on some of the great cricketing feats they have witnessed over the past year. This will be the seventh time the awards have been handed out and picking the winners will not be an easy task for the voting academy,” he said.
The nominations for the Women’s Cricketer of the Year were decided after a committee of former players, current administrators and journalists created a long-list. Captain Jhulan Goswami and batsman Mithali Raj are the the two Indians are in the running for the award.
The award will then be voted for by a separate 25-person voting academy.
There is also an Emerging Player of the Year award again this year.
- Zaheer nominated in three categories for ICC award - Aug 10, 2011
- Nine players nominated in three categories at LG ICC Awards 2010 - Aug 18, 2010
- Tendulkar shortlisted for three categories in ICC Awards - Sep 20, 2010
- Sachin, Gambhir nominated for ICC Awards - Aug 26, 2011
- England players fuming over ICC awards snub - Aug 19, 2010
- Dhoni, Dilshan nominated in three categories of ICC Awards - Sep 02, 2009
- It's fantastic to win Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy, says Tendulkar - Oct 06, 2010
- Four Indian cricketers in the running for LG ICC Awards 2009 - Sep 15, 2009
- LG ICC Awards 2010 set to take place in Bengaluru - Aug 17, 2010
- Four Indians in ICC's ODI team, Dhoni captain - Sep 12, 2011
- Tendulkar wins ICC Player of the Year award - Oct 06, 2010
- 'Dhobi Ghat' out of BAFTA race - Jan 17, 2012
- Seven Indian cricketers in fray for ODI dream team - Dec 22, 2010
- Dhoni bags Spirit of Cricket award, Trott is Cricketer of the Year - Sep 13, 2011
- Bengaluru prepares to host LG ICC Awards 2010 - Oct 05, 2010
Tags: amla, batsman, cricket council, cricket fans, cricketer, distinct categories, goswami, great sport, haroon lorgat, jacques kallis, mahela, mithali raj, remarkable performances, sachin tendulkar, selection panel, seventh time, shane watson, test player, virender sehwag, voting academy