Dhoni meets soldiers on Kashmir border (Lead,With Image)June 2nd, 2012 - 3:40 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 2 (IANS) Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni Saturday met soldiers on the Line of Control (LoC) on Jammu and Kashmir’s border with Pakistan, an official said.
“He interacted with soldiers and saw how the Indian Army works in forward areas,” defence ministry spokesman Col. R.K. Palta told IANS.
Dhoni, who is also an honorary Lt. Col in Territorial Army, went to areas close to the border after arriving in Jammu.
The army was proud to have such “an international icon as its brand ambassador”, Palta said.
Dhoni will visit forward areas like Bhimbher Gali, Hamirpur, Kalsian, Nowshera and some other positions in Poonch and Rajouri districts donning army uniform.
According to Palta, the visit seeks “to boost the morale of troops who work in most inhospitable condition and to motivate local youths to join the army”.
Dhoni will spend Saturday night in Rajouri.
He will also visit the Siachen Glacier in the second part of the tour of the state, an official said.
The Siachen Glacier, claimed by both India and Pakistan, is known to be the world’s highest battle ground at a height of 18,875 feet above sea level.
It will be the first visit by Indian Army ambassador to Siachen.
Dhoni is scheduled to visit Udhampur, headquarter of the Northern Command, Sunday before watching the final of the first phase of the Kashmir Premier League (KPL) at Baramulla in the Kashmir Valley.
Dhoni’s visit is divided in two parts. He will return to Delhi Monday. The next day he will fly to Ladakh and the Siachen. His visit to Kaahmir concludes June 7.
- Dhoni visits border areas in Kashmir - Jun 02, 2012
- Dhoni to spend time with soldiers in Kashmir - Jun 01, 2012
- Dhoni visits Leh - Jun 05, 2012
- Indian Army reviews operational preparedness along Ladakh border - Oct 03, 2011
- Must hold Siachen positions: Indian Army (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Army donates blankets, sleeping bags to nomadic tribes - Jul 17, 2012
- Militant hideout busted in Kashmir, arms cache recovered - Aug 27, 2012
- Two army officers killed in Siachen bunker fire (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Army chief visits Ladakh - Nov 05, 2011
- Indian Army's Northern Command celebrates 41st raising day - Jun 17, 2012
- Women units of BSF to be deployed in Kashmir - May 25, 2011
- Indian Army troops to get hi-tech shelters by 2012 - Oct 13, 2011
- Army chief on first visit to Ladakh - Aug 17, 2012
- Two army officers killed in fire in Siachen (Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- At least 20 soldiers at Siachen feared dead - Aug 08, 2010
Tags: army uniform, cricket captain, defence ministry spokesman, feet above sea level, forward areas, gali, india and pakistan, indian army, indian cricket, international icon, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, kpl, mahendra singh dhoni, nowshera, palta, poonch, siachen glacier, territorial army