Dhoni made $26.5 million last year, Tendulkar $18.6 millionAugust 1st, 2012 - 1:17 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 1 (IANS) India’s “Captain Cool” Mahendra Singh Dhoni and batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar lead world’s highest-paid cricketers with as many as six Indians making it to the Forbes list of top ten.
Dhoni’s success on the pitch, including leading India to its second ever Cricket World Cup championship “had helped turn him into India’s biggest celebrity,” said the reputed US business magazine noting “the fame has paid off: last year, Dhoni made an unprecedented $26.5 million,”
But only a small portion of that payout, about $3.5 million, comes directly from Dhoni’s on-field play, it said. The remaining sum of $23 million comes from his impressive list of nearly 25 endorsements, including PepsiCo, Reebok and Sony.
Fellow Indian Sachin Tendulkar, “arguably the greatest batsman to ever step onto a cricket pitch, was the game’s highest-paid player before Dhoni’s rise to fame.”
“The Little Master is adored by cricket fans both young and old, and his popularity in India helped him make $18.6 million last year,” Forbes said.
Like Dhoni, the vast majority of Tendulkar’s earnings came courtesy of valuable sponsorship deals. Tendulkar currently has 16 sponsors, including Adidas, Coca-Cola, Castrol and Toshiba, and they paid a total $16.5 million “for the all-time great’s services.”
The next three spots on the Forbes list are also held by Indians with Gautam Gambhir ($7.3 million) ranked third, Virat Kohli ($7.1 million) fourth and Virender Sehwag ($6.9 million) fifth. Yusuf Pathan ($3.7 million) takes the tenth spot.
Four Australians led by Shane Watson ($5.9 million) take the sixth to ninth spots. He is followed by Australian captain Michael Clarke ($4.9 million), Brett Lee ($4.8 million) and Ricky Ponting ($4.1 million).
- Underwood highest earning 'American Idol' contestant - Jul 24, 2011
- Dhoni is world's top earning cricketer - Sep 06, 2009
- Sachin is Castrol's brand ambassador - Dec 16, 2010
- Boxer Mayweather biggest grosser, Woods third on list - Jun 19, 2012
- Australia wins toss, opts to bat in WC quarterfinal against India - Mar 24, 2011
- Dicaprio Hollywood's highest paid actor: Forbes - Aug 02, 2011
- Watson to become highest paid Oz cricketer with new $2 million contract - Jan 21, 2011
- Dhoni is world's top earning cricketer - Sep 07, 2009
- Longoria, Fey named highest paid TV actresses - Sep 29, 2011
- Watson is the highest earning Australian cricketer - Dec 14, 2011
- Dhoni inks Rs 200 cr endorsement deal - Jul 13, 2010
- Indian cricketers enjoy greater brand value post World Cup win - Apr 09, 2011
- Taylor Swift highest paid celeb under 30 - Jul 13, 2012
- World Cup run-scorers list: Dilshan leads, Sachin second - Apr 01, 2011
- Red-hot Watson eyeing big bucks in India from endorsements - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: australian captain, australians, batsman, brett lee, business magazine, captain michael, castrol, cricket fans, cricket pitch, cricket world cup, cricketers, forbes list, gautam gambhir, mahendra singh dhoni, michael clarke, pepsico, ricky ponting, shane watson, small portion, sponsorship deals