Dhoni hints at quitting Tests by 2013January 12th, 2012 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
Perth, Jan 12 (IANS) Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni hinted that he may retire from Tests to prolong his career in the shorter versions of the game, keeping in mind the 2015 World Cup.
“If I have to see through the 2015 (World Cup), I would have to retire from one of the formats,” Dhoni said at a press conference here Thursday.
The India captain took everyone by surprise with his casual admission at the WACA Ground. Dhoni has played 66 Tests and won 17 of the 36 in which he led.
Dhoni has been an effective player in ODIs and Twenty20 and also led India to top in both the versions. Under Dhoni, India won the 2007 World Twenty20 and the 2011 ICC World Cup at home. But he hasn’t been able to replicate the success in Tests, especially overseas.
Dhoni had earlier said that by 2013 he has to assess whether his body can take the rigours of Test cricket.
“What I really meant is by 2013 I would have to see where I stand as to my body. Whether I will be able to survive till the 2015 World Cup,” he had said.
“Of course, form is a big factor but also what I need to say is that all of a sudden in 2014 if I feel I can’t survive the 2015 World Cup and there comes a new wicketkeeper who has played just 30 ODIs, it’s not fair. At 2013 end, I have to decide if fit enough to proceed in one of the format.”
“It’s not for personal, but for country and for the individual who is taking my position. He should have played 70-80 ODIs before he goes in World Cup. That’s my personal thinking,” he said.
- Good team won us World Cup, not just captaincy: Sehwag - Jul 06, 2012
- Dhoni ready to give up Test captaincy for better replacement - Jan 31, 2012
- Ponting concedes he has played his last ODI - Feb 21, 2012
- Dhoni not interested in Test cricket: Ganguly - Jan 13, 2012
- We should support Dhoni and team, says Kapil - Jan 20, 2012
- Kapil wants Sachin to retire immediately - Feb 20, 2012
- We will rotate the openers, says Sehwag - Feb 07, 2012
- We are open for cricket series against Pakistan: Dhoni - May 31, 2012
- Kapil ashamed but says time to back India team (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Sangakkara steps down from ODI, Twenty20 captaincy (Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- We are eager to do well in World T20: Dhoni - Sep 12, 2012
- Malinga retires from Test cricket, to play ODIs and Twenty20s - Apr 22, 2011
- It does not feel like I'm finishing: Dravid - Sep 15, 2011
- India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni turns 30 - Jul 07, 2011
- Dravid's recall exposes India's brittle batting order: Akram - Aug 07, 2011