Designer outfits for Filipino Olympians at LondonJune 20th, 2012 - 4:29 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, June 20 (IANS) Filipino athletes who will participate in the opening parade of the London Olympics in July will be wearing clothes designed by top Filipino designer Rajo Laurel.
The top fashion designer was tapped by the Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) to dress up Olympians who will compete in the Summer Games which will kick off July 27, Xinhua reports.
The Philippine contingent will wear an attire that is inspired by the national costume called Barong Tagalog.
Laurel said in his blog that the attire will feature a modern “palay” (unmilled rice) design with dark cobalt and blue threads symbolizing good fortune.
Laurel is a well known Filipino designer who trained in the New York Fashion Institute of Technology and Central Saint Martin’s in London.
Local media quoted POC chef de mission for London 2012 Manny Lopez as saying that the government wanted to provide Filipino athletes with the “best equipment and outfit”.
- Philippines lauds boxert Pacquiao despite defeat - Jun 10, 2012
- Canada hopes to finish among top 12 in London - May 30, 2012
- LA Galaxy thrash Philippine Azkal 6-1 - Dec 04, 2011
- Outrage over sexualized footage of female athletes - Aug 10, 2012
- 2,000 fall sick in Philippines relief centres - Aug 10, 2012
- Usain Bolt turns DJ to celebrate his world record - Aug 13, 2012
- Pacquiao willing to fight Mayweather Junior - Jan 11, 2012
- Ajit Pal named Chef-de-Mission for London Olympics - Apr 02, 2012
- HI lauds appointment of Ajit Pal's as Chef-de-Mission - Apr 03, 2012
- Olympic gold for Hungarians may be worth $155,000 - Aug 18, 2012
- Work behind every Indian garment is unique: Filipino fashion blogger - Aug 22, 2011
- Six women quarter-milers get 12-month ban, but London hopes alive - Dec 23, 2011
- Natalie Coughlin Chosen As Judge For "Iron Chef" - Jan 04, 2010
- Former Filipino cop hijacks bus, nine tourists released - Aug 23, 2010
- Russia targets 25 gold medals in London Olympics - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: chef de mission, cobalt, contingent, designer outfits, fashion designer, fashion institute of technology, filipino athletes, good fortune, institute of technology, local media, london 2012, london olympics, manny lopez, national costume, new york fashion, olympians, palay, philippine olympic committee, summer games, xinhua