Deportivo return to Spanish top flightMay 28th, 2012 - 8:39 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, May 28 (IANS) Deportivo la Coruna sealed their return to the Spanish La Liga from the second division following a 2-1 victory at home against Huesca.
Goals from Riki and Txisco sealed Deportivo’s win Sunday which means the Galician side, who just 12 years ago won the La Liga title in Spain, is promoted back to Spain’s top flight just one season after being relegated following a 0-1 home defeat to Valencia on the last day of last season, reported Xinhua.
Deportivo sealed their win in front of a packed house of almost 35,000 fans in the club’s Riazor Stadium. The victory also means that Deportivo will be promoted back to the La Liga as second division champions as they have a four point lead over second placed Celta Vigo who won away to Gimnastic Tarragona, a side that has already been relegated to Spain’s third tied (Segunda B).
Celta have a two point lead over third placed Valladolid with one game left to play this season. Valladolid look destined to have to take part in a playoff along with Alcorcon, Cordoba, Hercules (from Alicante) or Almeria for the remaining promotion spot.
Whoever finally joins Deportivo in returning to the La Liga will replace Racing Santander, Sporting Gijon and Villarreal, who were relegated from Spain’s top flight a fortnight ago.
- Celta return to Spanish La Liga after 5 years - Jun 04, 2012
- Mallorca end top of Primera Liga - Sep 02, 2012
- Real Madrid look to comeback after El Classico defeat - Dec 12, 2011
- Deportivo La Coruna signs Portuguese winger Pizzi - Jul 12, 2012
- Essien late arrival but little cash spent in Spain - Sep 01, 2012
- Real Madrid remain unfazed despite draw with Malaga - Mar 20, 2012
- Struggling Betis coach receives club's vote of confidence - Dec 06, 2011
- Michel Gonzalez new coach of struggling Zargoza - Dec 31, 2011
- Barcelona keen for revenge against Cup nemesis Sevilla - Jan 14, 2010
- Villarreal name Lotina as new coach - Mar 20, 2012
- Espanyol sign striker Sergio Garcia from Betis - Aug 17, 2010
- Sevilla, Getafe poised to reach Spanish cup semi-finals - Jan 21, 2010
- Villarreal sacks coach Molina - Mar 19, 2012
- Copa return leg matches may see some surprises - Jan 10, 2012
- Spanish soccer coach is dead - Jun 08, 2012