Deportivo, Copenhagen and Lech Poznan advance in UEFA CupDecember 18th, 2008 - 1:38 pm ICT by IANS
Hamburg, Dec 18 (DPA) Spain’s Deportivo La Coruna, Poland’s Lech Poznan and Danish side Copenhagen have secured places in the last 32 of the UEFA Cup football tournament.French side St Etienne drew with Valencia, while Hamburg downed Aston Villa and fellow Germans Wolfsburg drew at AC Milan to finish top of their groups Wednesday.
Deportivo needed a 73rd-minute goal from Mexican striker Omar Bravo to edge out French side Nancy in Group H where three teams were fighting for two qualifying places behind CSKA Moscow.
Lech Poznan squeezed through to the knockout stage in third place with a 1-0 win at Feyenoord courtesy of a 27th-minute Ivan Djurdjevic goal, leaving Nancy out in the cold in fourth place.
Brazilian midfielder Cesar Santin was the hero for FC Copenhagen, his goal in the 58th minute giving the Danish side a 1-0 at Club Brugge to leapfrog the Belgians into the third place in Group G.
France’s St. Etienne clinched top spot in the group with a 2-2 draw with already-qualified Valencia who finish second.
Araujo Dall’Igna Ilan scored both goals (29 and 45) for the home side either side of a Fernando Morientes strike in the 33rd, but the Spanish side levelled through Nikola Zigic in the 71st.
Germany’s Wolfsburg secured first place in Group E with a 2-2 draw at Italian giants AC Milan, who finish second in the group.
A 15th-minute header by Massimo Ambrosini put the 1997 Champions League winners ahead, and Pato was on target for a second immediately after a 56th-minute equalizer from Wolfsburg’s Cristian Zaccardo.
But Felix Magath’s side grabbed the point for group victory with a goal nine minutes from time from Mahir Saglik. AC Milan finish second, with Portugal’s Braga - not in action - already assured of third place.
Two goals from Ivica Olic after Croatian strike partner Mladen Petric opened the scoring gave SV Hamburg a 3-1 win over Aston Villa to give the Bundesliga side top spot in Group F.
Petric controlled a long ball from Piotr Trochowski before firing into the net in the 18th minute, and Olic increased the lead with a close-range diving header on the half hour.
Villa failed to deal with a long ball out of defence from Joris Mathijsen, and Olic drove home his second in the 57th.
An 83rd-minute goal from 17-year-old Nathan Delfouneso was a consolation for Villa who had midfielder Steven Sidwell sent off a minute late following a second booking.
The defeat leaves already-qualified Villa third in the group behind Dutch side Ajax who drew 2-2 with Slavia Prague.
Slavia came back from a fourth-minute goal by Jan Vertonghen with goals from Jaroslav Cerny (13th) and Marek Jarolim (41st), but a stoppage-time penalty from Luis Suarez gave Ajax the point.
The top teams in the groups will have a theoretical advantage in the knockout stage where the opponents will be a third-place finisher, with the second leg match at home.
The final places in Groups A, B, C and D will be determined Thursday before the draw is made in Nyon, Switzerland on Friday for both the Round of 32 and Round of 16.
- Hamburg, Wolfsburg advance in UEFA Cup - Dec 05, 2008
- Four-goal Bayern crush Juve; joy for Real, AC Milan, CSKA - Dec 09, 2009
- Ronaldinho's Atletico falters, Vasco stays top - Jun 18, 2012
- Champions League: Bayern still in the hunt as Real Madrid move closer - Nov 26, 2009
- Bayern lose top position to Dortmund in German Bundesliga - Feb 05, 2012
- Milan held in Bremen; Hamburg win away in Champions League - Feb 19, 2009
- Cologne, Bremen celebrate goal festival at Bundesliga - Dec 11, 2011
- Champions League: Barcelona held by Milan, Arsenal by Dortmund - Sep 14, 2011
- Drogba stars as Chelsea march into champions league last 16 - Dec 07, 2011
- Wolfsburg concede late 1-1 in Hamburg under new coach - Jan 30, 2010
- Manchester 'big two' crash out of champions league - Dec 08, 2011
- Milan, CSKA progress in UEFA Cup - Nov 28, 2008
- Croatia dark horses of Euro 2012 - Jun 03, 2012
- Yatai to face Wolfsburg in friendly match - Jul 08, 2012
- Messi strikes thrice in Barcelona's 8-0 rout of Osasuna - Sep 18, 2011