Denmark still sweating on Bendtner’s fitnessJune 19th, 2010 - 5:36 pm ICT by IANS
Pretoria, June 19 (DPA) Denmark have admitted they are still sweating on the fitness of Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner ahead of their crucial World Cup football Group E match against Cameroon in Pretoria.
Denmark coach, Morten Olsen, disclosed the 22-year-old Bendtner, who has been battling a groin injury for several weeks, is still not sure of starting Saturday’s match.
“Bendtner was not 100 per cent against the Netherlands. He played only 60 minutes as he could not complete the 90 minutes. It is a miracle that he is able to last that long. He now has to train every other day, but we can live with that,” said Olsen.
“He is important for us, but he’s also part of a team. If he can’t play, we will have to play a different way. We have won matches without him.”
Olsen refused to discuss the fitness concerns over his most experienced player, striker Jon Dahl Tomasson, while insisting that the full 23-man squad trained at the Loftus Stadium in Pretoria Friday night “some more than others”.
“We have many injuries. This makes the work a little more difficult,” lamented Olsen.
The Denmark coach also disclosed that after their opening day loss to the Netherlands he expects to get a result against Cameroon, who also lost their first match in the competition.
“The tournament is now a bit more open with more possibilities and so Cameroon and Denmark have to take something out of this game,” he said.
“Even though we lost our first game, we took away some positives and we hope to improve.”
- Cameroon and Denmark seek quick response to defeats - Jun 18, 2010
- Star striker Bendtner doubtful for Danish opener - Jun 11, 2010
- Danish victory over Cameroon puts Dutch through (Lead) - Jun 20, 2010
- Euro 2012: Coach Olsen laments 'unlucky' Danes - Jun 14, 2012
- Denmark need top health in tough group (Group E profile) - May 30, 2010
- Winners takes all for Japan and Denmark - Jun 23, 2010
- Euro 2012: Memory of 1992 motivates Denmark - Jun 01, 2012
- Pride and Precipice: Contrasting matches in Group E - Jun 23, 2010
- Denmark defeat Sweden 2-0 in football friendly - Nov 12, 2011
- Olsen names final Danish squad for World Cup - May 28, 2010
- Cameroon eliminated as Denmark come back for win - Jun 20, 2010
- Japan beat Denmark to advance with Netherlands (Roundup) - Jun 25, 2010
- Euro 2012: Danish footballers banned from using social media - Apr 25, 2012
- Euro 2012: Olsen rues lost penalty as Denmark crash out - Jun 18, 2012
- Italy start title defence with a draw; Dutch, Japan win (Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 15, 2010
Tags: 60 minutes, arsenal, cameroon, denmark, dpa, first game, fitness concerns, friday night, groin injury, jon dahl tomasson, loftus stadium, man squad, match, miracle, morten olsen, netherlands, opening day, possibilities, pretoria, world cup football