Delhi to host three-day wrestling championship next weekMay 8th, 2010 - 9:31 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 8 (ANI): New Delhi’s Indira Gandhi Sports Complex will play host to senior Asian freestyle, Greco Roman style and the female wrestling championships from May 12 to 16.
The event is being seen as a test case for the wrestling competition of the October 2010 Commonwealth Games.
It is one of the major tournaments of FILA in which top wrestlers from 21 countries will compete for top honors with each other.
“This is a major tournament of FILA; it is also opted as a test event for the Commonwealth Games 2010. As you are aware, Asia is a very strong continent in wrestling. In fact, 90 percent of medals in Olympics in wrestling come from Europe and Asia. We have excellent participants from 21 countries,” said G.S Mander, the president of the Wrestling Federation of India.
The 21 countries include all major wrestling nations like Iran, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Japan, Korea, China and Mongolia.
Several of the participants are medal winners of 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and 2009 Senior World Wrestling Championship held in Denmark.
The competition will be held daily in the afternoon with preliminary rounds from 2:00 to 5:00 PM and medal rounds to decide Gold, Silver, and Bronze Medal winners from 7:00 to 9:00 PM.
Freestyle wrestling competitions will be held on May 12 and 13, while the female wrestling competition will take place on May 14. The Greco-Roman style competition will be held on May 15 and 16. (ANI)
- Indian wrestlers confident of winning more golds - Oct 06, 2010
- Iran, Belarus, Turkey dominate wrestling championship - Sep 14, 2011
- Khatri, Alka to lead India's charge at Asian Wrestling - Apr 28, 2011
- CWG decision to drop wrestling events upsets Indians - Oct 08, 2010
- Iranian Greco-Roman wrestler wins gold at London Olympics - Aug 06, 2012
- Champion Russian wrestler dies of heart attack at 35 - Sep 13, 2012
- National Wrestling Championship from Oct 14 - Oct 05, 2011
- Indian wrestlers put behind doping scandal, aim for rich haul - Sep 20, 2010
- Australia refuses visas to Pakistani wrestlers - Aug 03, 2011
- Commonwealth Wrestling Championship kick-starts in Jalandhar - Dec 19, 2009
- Haryana gives Rs.15 lakh each to three gold medal wining wrestlers - Oct 06, 2010
- Wrestling team for CWG announced - Aug 09, 2010
- Two-member Indian wrestling team for Golden Grand Prix - Jul 16, 2010
- Sushil to lead India's charge at Commonwealth Wrestling - Dec 08, 2009
- Wrestler Anil wins fifth gold for India, beats Australian in 96kg category finals - Oct 05, 2010
Tags: 2008 beijing olympic, 2008 beijing olympic games, 2010 commonwealth games, bronze medal winners, commonwealth games 2010, continent, fila, freestyle, indira gandhi, japan korea, kyrgyzstan, medals, New Delhi, olympic games, roman style, sports complex, test case, test event, wrestlers, wrestling federation