Delhi Public Library books catalogue will now be available onlineOctober 1st, 2008 - 4:51 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct.1 (ANI): Delhi Public Library, main building of which is located near the old Railway station in the city, has decided to put its current catalogue online from October 2.
The online catalogue will include a section on current acquisitions and books received under the Delivery of Books Act from 2007.
The new facility being provided for the first time by any Indian library will enable downloading bibliographical information of Indian language books from the DPL site in Marc 21 format which is followed by libraries in the country, said official.
At present about 20,000 currently acquired and books have been enlisted in the new catalogue system. The remaining old collection of books available in the library will also be made available online in a phased manner in near future, the official added.
The new catalogue system being offered through Koha 3.0 open source library software could be accessed by visiting the official website www.dpl.gov.in/ and http://126.96.36.199.
As retro-conversion of such a massive collection is a gigantic and time- consuming task, hence Delhi Public Library has decided to introduce Koha in different phases.
The books online catalogue (OPAC) facility is hoped to prove a major relief for Delhi Public Library, which has about 45,000 members and users from across the world who can now easily locate favourite books out of its huge collection. They will have a far less cumbersome task to locate the required books than it used to be till date. (ANI)
- Delhi Public Library opens first computerised sub-branch - Apr 09, 2009
- Delhi Public Library cancels week-long exhibition - Feb 03, 2010
- E-books, e-library - for your reading pleasure - Sep 06, 2012
- Delhi Public Library hosts a weeklong exhibition for book lovers - Feb 01, 2010
- Delhi Public Library turns 60, to showcase India's growth - Jan 28, 2010
- Madras High Court stays decision to shift Anna Centenary Library - Nov 04, 2011
- Delhi to host India's first 'Newseum' - Jan 31, 2010
- Use current reservation counter, urges Railways - Feb 13, 2012
- Rare book on political and economic history of India digitized - Sep 05, 2010
- `Don Quixote' becomes interactive - Oct 28, 2010
- Modernising libraries will take time: Government - Mar 10, 2010
- One card for over 100 Beijing libraries - Mar 12, 2012
- 17th century notebook reveals how women were punished for witchcraft - Mar 04, 2011
- Swift donates 6,000 books to library - Oct 16, 2011
- US consulate opens in suburban Mumbai - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: acquisitions, catalogue system, collection of books, conversion, cumbersome task, current catalogue, delhi public library, dpl, huge collection, indian language, language books, libraries, library books, library software, marc 21, massive collection, New Delhi, old railway station, open source library, time consuming task