Delhi government to buy 6,600 buses before Commonwealth GamesJune 15th, 2009 - 7:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 15 (IANS) The Delhi government will purchase 6,600 new buses before the 2010 Commonwealth Games to provide a better public transport system during the Games, Lieutenant Governor Tejedra Khanna said Monday.
Addressing the Delhi assembly at the start of the budget session Monday, Khanna said: “3,800 new buses are proposed to be purchased in time for the Commonwealth Games 2010. It will be augmented to a fleet of 6,600 buses, to meet the requirements of Delhiites.”
The bus fleet will include both low- and semi-low floor buses, along with air-conditioned buses. It is likely to provide public transport a competitive edge over private transport.
Khanna informed the assembly that the Delhi government is constructing 24 new flyovers and bridges and six road-over-bridges/road-under-bridges to provide better intra-city connectivity during the Games period.
“The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) is also constructing 18 road-over-bridges/road-under-bridges to ensure rapid flow of vehicular traffic between the competition venues. These will contribute significantly to a reduction in stoppage times,” Khanna told the assembly.
The Public Works Department (PWD), New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) and MCD have also taken up a drive to beautify the roads, by way of widening, strengthening and resurfacing the roads and street lighting.
“To improve aesthetics, street scaping alongside roads and in vacant areas around the flyovers will include greenery, tree plantation, street furniture and modern signages. All these projects are at different stages of progress and will be completed in time for the Commonwealth Games,” Khanna added.
The 17-day budget session will end on July 1.
- Zipping through flyovers, Metro: Delhi reaps CWG legacy (Year after CWG) - Sep 30, 2011
- Blueline buses not to return to Delhi roads - Oct 25, 2010
- Delhi budget: More funds for public transport, education, health - Mar 22, 2010
- With celebrities, Facebook, Twitter, Delhi Police ready for Games traffic (Commonwealth Games Countdown) - Jun 29, 2010
- End of road for 1,600 Blueline buses from Thursday - Oct 27, 2010
- CWG makeover? DTC back to plying old buses (Year after CWG) - Oct 01, 2011
- MCD orders internal inquiry in CWG projects - Oct 23, 2010
- Delhi street-scaping limps as Games deadline nears - May 22, 2010
- DTC to roll out over 1,000 buses Monday - Oct 17, 2010
- Delhi dressed up to receive the world - Sep 28, 2010
- Dikshit nailed by CAG, opposition demands resignation (Third Lead) - Aug 05, 2011
- Capital takes first step towards safeguarding CWG legacy - Oct 28, 2010
- Delhi to buy 2,500 low-floor buses before Commonwealth Games - Aug 29, 2009
- Blueline buses to be back on Delhi roads Monday - Oct 15, 2010
- Will complete all CWG projects by July 15: MCD - Jul 02, 2010
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, bridges road, budget session, bus fleet, commonwealth games 2010, competition venues, delhi government, floor buses, flyovers, lieutenant governor, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, ndmc, plantation street, private transport, public transport system, rapid flow, street furniture, street lighting, vehicular traffic