Delhi Daredevils tie-up with Unicef to focus on girl childApril 5th, 2012 - 10:56 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 5 (IANS) Endeavouring to focus attention on the Indian girl child, half of whom are married off below the age of 18, Indian Premier League (IPL) team Delhi Daredevils has tied up with Unicef to further their cause.
The team will forego possible earnings from sporting commercial logos on the left trousers of players and support staff as part of the “Dare to Care” initiative.
“Instead, the players and support staff will wear logos with the slogan ‘Dare to Care’,” a Delhi Daredevils spokesman said here.
In India, 40 percent of the girls do not go to school and 50 percent tie the nuptial knot while they are still minors.
The players will also be sporting blue ribbons on their left arms.
“Before leaving the team hotel for the Eden Gardens today (Thursday) our captain Virender Sehwag formally handed over blue ribbons to all the players,” the spokesman said before the start of the side’s game against the Kolkata Knight Riders.
The Daredevils are also giving a percentage from the merchandise sales, and five percent from gate sales, to Unicef as part of the tie-up.
“We are working out a two-three year deal with the Unicef,” the spokesman said.
- KKR goes all out to engage fans - Apr 03, 2012
- It was like playing an away game: Gambhir - May 05, 2012
- KKR stops cozying up to Ashok Todi's company - Feb 23, 2010
- Preethi watches hubby Ashwin at Eden - Nov 15, 2011
- Emirates to sponsor Deccan Chargers for three seasons - Mar 28, 2012
- Send a card, help a child, says Unicef - Sep 08, 2011
- Himalaya Optical ties up with Tom Davies - May 11, 2012
- Foreign players also benefit from IPL: Sekar - Mar 25, 2012
- Kunal Rawal designs for Royal Challengers Bangalore - Apr 06, 2012
- Preity Zinta to spread AIDS awareness via IPL (Lead) - Mar 11, 2010
- IPL merchandise sales take a hit in Kolkata - Apr 17, 2009
- Frenzied Kolkata fans fete Knight Riders, Shah Rukh (Roundup) - May 29, 2012
- Mini Pune descends at Eden for SRK-Dada grudge match - May 05, 2012
- Qatar Airways backs FDI in aviation - Nov 23, 2011
- Deccan Chargers hope to end losing streak against Daredevils - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: blue ribbons, commercial logos, earnings, eden gardens, girl child, girls, India, indian girl, initiative, ipl, knight riders, merchandise sales, nuptial knot, premier league, slogan, spokesman, support staff, team hotel, trousers, unicef