Delhi Daredevils owner in buy out talks with LiverpoolApril 26th, 2009 - 1:03 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 26 (ANI): English Premier League club Liverpool is in talks with the billionaire owners of an Indian Premier League cricket team that could lead to a massive investment and an eventual buy-out.
Representatives of the GMR group, who run the Delhi Daredevils IPL side, were guests at last week’s clash with Arsenal.
GMR chairman Grandhi Mallikarjun Rao is worth an estimated 4.2 billion pounds and the senior official he sent to Liverpool in midweek is known to be a supporter of the club, News of the World reported.
Hicks started the talks initially with a view to securing a sponsorship deal, but Bangalore-based GMR have made no secret of their desire to branch out into other sports.
Rao (58) made his millions in the airport and construction industry and recently formed a subsidiary company to invest in sport, with English football considered the most attractive.
A Liverpool source said: “The GMR group were invited by Hicks and their representative watched the Arsenal match in the directors’ box with Hicks’ son Tommy. It was quite clear the representative was a fan.
“When you look at the company’s commitment to sport they’re exactly the type of partner Tom would be looking for.”
Liverpool’s American owners have been scouring the globe for finance to stave off the threat of having to sell the club on the cheap in July. (ANI)
- 'Benitez-built weak and short on talent Liverpool squad' - Apr 06, 2011
- Premier League approves Liverpool 300 million pound-takeover bid - Oct 09, 2010
- Liverpool owners block sale by US court's temporary restraining order - Oct 14, 2010
- Hong Kong businessman pulls out of Liverpool takeover race - Aug 21, 2010
- Rovers told to show result by owners - Oct 09, 2011
- Ambani, Subrata Roy to compete with Chinese Govt. to buy Liverpool - Aug 05, 2010
- EPL side Blackburn Rovers arrive in Pune - Oct 05, 2011
- Simmons promoted as head coach of Delhi Daredevils (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Delhi Daredevils: Simmons promoted head coach, Sekar is team manager - Dec 22, 2011
- Liverpool midfielder Lucas ruled out for season - Dec 02, 2011
- Liverpool's sponsor wants club to buy Asian footballers - Apr 01, 2011
- Liverpool unveil Rodgers as new manager - Jun 01, 2012
- Liverpool planning radical overhaul of squad - Apr 24, 2011
- Liverpool's American owners accept selling club now 'inevitable' - Oct 13, 2010
- Liverpool take over battle gets murkier with arrival of mystery bidder - Oct 06, 2010
Tags: billionaire, club liverpool, club news, construction industry, cricket team, daredevils, english football, english premier league, gmr group, ipl, league cricket, massive investment, midweek, news of the world, other sports, partner tom, rao, son tommy, sponsorship deal, subsidiary company