Delhi bow out of Santosh TrophyMay 26th, 2009 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 26 (IANS) Delhi crashed to a 1-2 defeat against Assam to bow out of the 63rd National Football Championship for the Santosh Trophy here Tuesday.
Playing without skipper Sunil Chetri who was injured Sunday during their 0-1 loss to the Indian Railways, Delhi had no answer to the nippy Assam and with two defeats in the three-team cluster 5, made their exit from the competition.
Raju Konwar drew first blood for Assam with a 12th minute strike and forward Durga Boro added a second goal to the tally past the 51st, while the lone reducer for Delhi was an own-goal by Raju Konwar.
In Coimbatore, fancied Kerala were off the blocks with a 5-0 rout of Chandigarh in the three-team Cluster 1. Chandigarh, who had drawn goalless with Chattisgarh in their opening fixture, had no answer to the swift Kerala who had won the last of their five titles five years ago.
KP Zubair (36th, 38th), Bineesh T Balan (67th), MP Sakeer (84th) and skipper NP Pradeep (injury time) scored for Kerala.
Hosts Tamil Nadu kept up their goal-scoring spree by defeating Himachal Pradesh 11-0 for their second win in cluster 8 at the JN Nehru Stadium, here.
Tamil Nadu, who had beaten Rajasthan 7-0 in their opening fixture, handed out a second defeat to Himachal Pradesh following their 0-2 loss to Tripura.
Topping the scorer’s list in the game was PC Riju with four goals that took his tally to seven from two matches. Muthu and skipper Kulothungan scored three goals apiece and Jagan completed the tally.
In a cluster 3 match at Tiruchirapalli, Madhya Pradesh and Mizoram were involved in a 2-2 draw. Sonu Rajak scored both the goals for Madhya Pradesh while Jeje Lalpekhlua and Zaidinmawia Hmar replied for Mizoram.
Mahdhya Pradesh, in fact led 2-1 with a minute left on the clock when Zaidinmawia Hmar was brought down inside the box leading to a penalty that he converted for the equaliser.
- Santosh Trophy: Kerala march into pre-quarters - Jul 27, 2010
- Big wins for TN, Mizoram in Santosh trophy football - May 24, 2009
- Santosh Trophy: Kerala, Railways, Tamil Nadu, Mizoram advance - May 29, 2009
- Champions League: Malaga beat Panathinaikos - Aug 23, 2012
- National Games: Medals tally, Day 2 - Feb 15, 2011
- Santosh Trophy to kick off Friday - May 10, 2012
- National Games: Services top medal tally with 37 golds - Feb 20, 2011
- National Games: Maharashtra continue at top of medal tally - Feb 19, 2011
- Manchester teams score season's first victories in Champions League - Oct 19, 2011
- Uruguay striker Abreu scores hat-trick for Botafogo - Apr 22, 2012
- National Games: Services lead medal tally - Feb 23, 2011
- Modern School triumph in girls' football - Aug 18, 2012
- Manipur top medal tally with ten wushu gold (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh in quarters of national junior hockey - Sep 03, 2012
- Maharashtra pack off Kerala in Santosh Trophy - May 31, 2009
Tags: assam, balan, chandigarh, chattisgarh, equaliser, first blood, himachal pradesh, hmar, indian railways, injury time, jagan, jeje, madhya pradesh, mizoram, muthu, national football championship, nehru stadium, pradeep, santosh trophy, tiruchirapalli