Del Bosque expected tough fight from GeorgiaSeptember 12th, 2012 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Sep 12 (IANS) Spain football coach Vicente del Bosque said he expected a tough fight from Georgia, whom they beat 1-0 in an away game to kick-off their World Cup defence.
A goal from Roberto Soldado four minutes from time Tuesday gave Spain the much-needed away win in a World Cup qualifier they controlled for long periods without being able to create clear cut chances.
“I had said beforehand that it was going to be difficult for us and it was tough and very complicated,” said Del Bosque.
“Georgia defended with great order and almost achieved their aim,” added the coach, who nevertheless felt his side had done enough to deserve the win.
“We dominated the game, although it would have been a step back not to have done so. I knew it was going to be tough,” continued Del Bosque, who defended the fact that Spain continued with their short passing game right until the end, rather than opting to hit more long balls into their rival’s penalty area.
“My obligation is not to break up the team or to unbalance it. Spain is obliged to win respecting our style of play,” he said.
Del Bosque was asked about the controversial decision to make the current World Cup holders, qualify for the 2014 competition.
“I don’t want to think too much about that, as it doesn’t lead us anywhere. That is the way it is and we have to fight and suffer as we did in this game and qualify,” said Del Bosque.
Spain’s next two games are against Belarus and France.
- Spain begin World Cup defence with hard fought win - Sep 12, 2012
- Strange that World Cup winners need to qualify: Casillas - Sep 11, 2012
- The road to Brazil begins in Georgia: Del Bosque - Sep 10, 2012
- Spain coach Del Bosque names Euro squad - May 27, 2012
- Spanish coach to stay on till 2014 Football World Cup - Sep 08, 2011
- Torres defends his selection in Spain's Euro squad - May 29, 2012
- Spain to face Saudi Arabia in World Cup warm-up - Sep 06, 2012
- Alba lone new face in Spain's squad for Euro 2012 qualifiers - Sep 30, 2011
- Navas and Monreal back in Spain's squad for England, Costa Rica friendlies - Nov 08, 2011
- Torres dropped by Del Bosque for friendly - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: aim, balls, belarus, controversial decision, football coach, four minutes, game right, long periods, madrid, obligation, passing game, roberto soldado, spain football, two games, vicente del bosque, world cup holders, world cup qualifier