Defoe scores hat-trick as England beat Bulgaria 4-0September 4th, 2010 - 4:00 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 4 (ANI): Striker Jermain Defoe scored a hat-trick as England started their road to recovery after a disappointing World Cup with victory against Bulgaria in their opening Euro 2012 qualifier at Wembley.
Defoe established the foundations with an early goal and added a second just after the hour as the home side beat Bulgaria.
Manchester City’s Adam Johnson, on as a substitute for Theo Walcott, ended any slim hopes of a Bulgarian revival with England’s third and his first goal for his country before Defoe completed his treble with a powerful drive four minutes from time.
Defoe limped off after picking up an injury as he scored his third goal, but manager Fabio Capello expects him to recover in time for Tuesday’s game in Switzerland, The BBC reports.
Ace striker Wayne Rooney was a central figure in England’s goals, despite occasionally appearing to be out of favour with the home support.
Rooney had occasionally felt the impatience of the 73,246 at Wembley, but he demonstrated his enduring quality with a 20-yard chip four minutes after the interval that forced Mihaylov into a scrambling save to turn his effort over the top. (ANI)
- Rooney's professional performance against Switzerland puts sexcapade on backburner - Sep 08, 2010
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Defoe extends contract with Tottenham till 2015 - Aug 31, 2012
- Walcott to miss England's World Cup qualifier against Ukraine - Sep 10, 2012
- Capello leaves out Rio, Crouch from England squad - Aug 29, 2011
- Carroll may start against France in Euro 2012 - May 30, 2012
- Welbeck on wonder goal: I knew it was coming - Jun 16, 2012
- Third generation goalkeeper is Bulgaria's best footballer - Dec 24, 2011
- Walcott surprised by his own Roanldo dip - Jun 16, 2012
- Defoe wants to get third time lucky in FA Cup - Feb 05, 2010
- Euro 2012: Hodgson praises 'clever' Welbeck winner - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden - Jun 16, 2012
- Problems mount for Capello's England despite opening win - Sep 06, 2010
- 42 percent of British footie fans want Owen on plane to South Africa - Oct 16, 2009
- Chelsea, Arsenal win, Tottenham lose to Wigan - Aug 28, 2010
Tags: ace, adam johnson, bbc, bulgaria, capello, defoe, euro 2012, favour, foundations, four minutes, hat trick, interval, manchester city, revival, striker, theo walcott, treble, wayne rooney, wembley, world cup